Instagram Blowouts

The idea of defunding the police as a distinct demand is fairly new, but there was an interesting reference in this Guardian article to when NY police suspended their ‘broken windows’ policy for a little bit:

Looks like crime decreased during that time.

Comparisons over time are tricky, but most crimes in the US and UK have generally been declining for the last 40-40 years. So the need for such high levels of policing seem less.

2 Likes

Thanks. Interesting read

1 Like

I’ve never read an article on breitbart but fair enough.

I don’t know. But that’s clearly your impression of me. I just don’t think that reducing funding to police is the right way to improve society.

That’s quite a loaded statement. The American police is multicultural, especially in larger cities. Personally, I would want a police that were properly funded and armed if I lived in a society where increasing numbers of people are armed. I’m not saying that armed conflict is the only appropriate solution to reducing crime. They should be focusing on rehabilitation and treating the causes of crime. The article that @Dent_Face mentioned stated that more than half the general fund for LA is spent on police while the covid economic crisis has caused cuts to ‘education, youth programs, arts and culture, parks, libraries, housing services and more’. This is clearly terrible. I’m just a bit sceptical as to whether public order will be maintained, or improved by reducing funds to frontline policing, when there are fewer people to respond to disputes or unrest at a particularly volatile time in this country’s history.

This is a symptom of the bad marketing. The phrase “defund the police” is flawed already. Of course the counter arguments are going to be flawed too.

While there are a large number of people who do actually mean “completely defund the police”, there are also a large number of people who have a more nuanced aim, i.e. “reform” or “restructure” or “demilitarise”. But because politics is often so binary, the messaging has to encompass as broad a sentiment as possible to keep as many people on-side as they can. Hence “Defund” is the tag-line, and the complexity is in the subtext, as Blinky demonstrated.

It’s a complex subject, with lots of variables. I didn’t see anything unreasonable in any of @sotonjon’s responses, he was responding to the problematic marketing slogan literally. As a lot of people do. Then he read Blinks explanation and thanked him for the context.

Your message would land a lot better if you didn’t patronise them or compare them to shitbags like Lindsay Graham and Steve Bannon whenever you disagree with them.

4 Likes

Shanahanz cab on vert!

3 Likes

Rad but…is that vert?

1 Like

It would be vert enough for me.

That ramps looks rad. Defo a midi ramp not a vert, there needs to be more midis like that!! Shanahan is actually one of the best dudes to watch whatever he skates.

1 Like

I liked the shuv nosegrind too

2 Likes

Vert-ish.

2 Likes

It was a gay twist* not a cab.

*controversial

2 Likes

He’s good isn’t he.

Ah yes, loved these!

6 Likes

I feel this this shouldn’t work, but I can’t stop watching it.

9 Likes

That’s a bloody nightmare for the trick namists out there (like me).

1 Like

Why wouldn’t it just be a fakie feeble?

Imagine that backwards, it’d just be a back feeb

1 Like

Switch nollie fakie Willy grind.

5 Likes