Instagram Blowouts

It does have it’s moments :joy:

I really like Kids I think it’s a great film. I like Gummo too. Ken Park felt contrived.

2 Likes

I think it still retains its shock value. As a time capsule of that period in post-aids NYC I imagine it was pretty accurate (I presume). Some of it is pretty dubious now in terms of subject matter, especially that first scene where he’s trying to seduce that quite obviously very underage girl.

But, if recent skateboarding events have shown us anything, it’s that that sort of behaviour still goes on.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched it for like ten years, but if I remember correctly, it annoyed me at the time that while Casper has a huge dose of Karma server to him, Telly pretty much gets away with all the sketchy stuff he gets up to right?

I guess Larry Clark isn’t choosing to judge the characters actions, but the guys get away with a lot.

Nah, he’s got AIDS and is the one spreading it. So I can’t imagine it ends well for him too. The homophobic stuff and beating in the park were terrible too.

Edit: Oops, should of done the spoiler tags too.

2 Likes

Oh ok I remember, Telly passes it on to Chloe Sevignys character and then Casper rapes her and catches AIDS.

Jesus, writing that out is dark

1 Like

Kids was pretty important for me.
it showed a side of skateboarding from a cool/ tough/ cinematic city at a time where the only access to American culture was through magazines and videos.
Yes, the story is brutal. The 90s weren’t pretty, things have progressed.
it also excels in that its a story with skateboarding as background, not main focus

8 Likes

Even at the time, and more so now obviously, I thought it just made skaters look like a bunch of fucking total absolute cnuts.

Maybe that was the intention but I don’t get the artistic point being made, if there is one.

You’ve got someone being trucked in Central Park a la Dan The Security Guard at Black Rock. You’ve got AIDS rapists a la Johan Stuckey going round giving everyone STD’s.

It was fucking lame, other than seeing skaters on the telly. If I wanted that I’d watch this:

What a gem!

Cattle seriously letting the side down there :joy:

Jesus, I’d almost forgot how insufferable Joe Pasquale is/was.

1 Like

Not that anyone asked but I thought Kids was really embarrassing to watch when it came out, probably would be excruciating to watch nowadays.

It’s important for sure culturally-speaking but does that make it good/enjoyable/valuable for me personally? Nah.

I ended up spending the afternoon showing Chloe Sevigny around town when she came to London to do press for Kids, cmoac. We went to Slam and a party in Islington.

16 Likes

What the fuck was Joe Pasquale on? Made a right tit of himself.

ETA Cattle was probably boiling in rage at the twat :rofl:

8 Likes

There is almost nobody as lame. So uncool.

2 Likes

Just lovely! Text book flip in

1 Like

At Mach Busenitz.

1 Like

How the fuck do you frontside flip out of the lip on a concrete bowl so casually, the man is a wizard

4 Likes