Interview Thread

That was excellent.
Big respect x

1 Like
4 Likes

Really enjoyed this.

1 Like
1 Like

Hiroki on that dish/ mini fountain spot (that only he skates?).

1 Like

Haha wow. When he did the ollie in - ollie out I thought that was it completed!

1 Like

Nice to hear from a skater with their head screwed on.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Haven’t watched this yet but I’m big a fan of Silas, made more so just because of how level headed he is, like you said.

He’s like the pro version of my mates in their 30s/early 40s who have kids/busy jobs/etc but still skate very regularly.

Also, arguably the most underrated SOTY?

2 Likes

Also his first shoe was awsome and I have no idea why they didn’t carry on making it.

They were sick.

Not the type of shoe I’d skate or wear, just because they aren’t my thing, but I really appreciated the design. It was like a Dunk-style toecap on hiking/walking shoe hybrid.

Deffo the best of his pro shoes too. I could imagine it doing very well as I think it’s in a similar wheelhouse to some of New Balance Numeric’s models.

Not skate-related but this is an incredible send-up of Joe Rogan + similar pseud/conspiracy/new-age/self-congratulating/libertarian/“deep” ladz interview podcasts:

2 Likes

Interviewed my buddy Joe, who made the video I posted a few parts from in the footage thread, about filming, local scenes, Japanese VX translation, and snowboard missions with Tom Knox’s brother.

3 Likes

Oh dear, I dread to think what’s covered in this.

Lennie Kirk fell on his head and encountered Jesus and nobody takes the piss out of him.

Sounds like people were scared of him so kept their distance.

Two things…

One which isn’t personal to Brian: People always replying “I would probably be in jail like most of my friends prior to skateboarding” or similar irks me. I do think that for some people it is true - but just because you didn’t find skateboarding doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be just as smart.
It just feels so overly dramatic. Especially as we have people who did find skateboarding just the same and still ended up dead or in jail.

Second, he didn’t answer that question on whether it is okay to be gay or not. Or did he? Tell me if I am wrong, but I feel like he avoided the question.

…and if you ain’t prepared to stand for something, you may as well be against it.

Never met the dude but he seems like if he didn’t find skateboarding, he’d still be a dick would have been a better answer.

8 Likes

I read that Sumner interview when it went up on Jenkem. I can’t say that it’s worth bothering with. I wasn’t really ever a fan of his skating, not anti, just indifferent.

The interview doesn’t contain any real surprises. A bit of homophobia, science/ evolution denial, money fixation … all the usual fundamentalist twaddle all topped off with an unwelcome reminder of those horrendous Adios he had a hand in.

On the other hand, I did like Lennie Kirk’s unhinged skating - just not a fan of his unhinged mind. He turned out to be a bit of a Brian in the end too.

3 Likes

In that Penny interview we were talking about one bit goes like this:

Q: What would you do if you weren’t a skateboarder?

TP: Buy a skateboard.

8 Likes