Joey O’Brien

This cannot be slept on and deserves a thread. I almost didn’t watch it because I’d not heard of him and don’t like AWS.

As good if not better than Suciu and probably not a Brian.

11 Likes

Was he wearing a Real shirt at one point? That confused me cos I thought the edit was well Workshop and then I had to keep pausing it to see what boards he was riding.

Good shit tho. Hyped on Alien again

I could hear the mid-air catch on several flip tricks and that made me happy.
Actually all the skate sounds were great, and I liked the dub echo effect on the last couple of landings.
Also liked that sign that said: Swimming Wading Dog Bathing Skateboarding PROHIBITED

2 Likes

He was on Real flow. His part before this was also littered with Real boards!

It’s very close to the perfect video part. Watched it three times already.

4 Likes

clicked on this as soon as I realised it was a Chris Mulhern production.

So good

4 Likes

I agree, that was very close to Jake Johnson/Mariano levels of ‘hard way everything WTF!’

3 Likes

I think pairs really well with Jake Johnson’s Mindfield part. Perfect back to back before a skate.

1 Like

Holy fuck, that’s an absolute masterpiece.

4 Likes

He actually does a line on the top of that angled wall at muni

1 Like

Top marks for the fast feet, skating when it’s cold enough to need a hoodie with a coat on top, crusty as fuck spots in a world of Cali smoothness and making it feel like the first time I saw some of MJ’s seminal parts.

1 Like

Can’t even think what could improve that.

1 Like

I’d rather a skater has a 12 year career with 3 parts filmed over 4 years each than turning out 2 minute parts on a conveyer belt each yeah for Instagram.

4 Likes

1 incredible solo production every 4 years. What’s the harm in that? You can still chuck some filler on the gram.

There’s got to be a sweet spot between Gino sloth state and Aurelein Giraud hardflipping every 4 minutes. Can it really sell more stuff to just be on constant transmit mode?

Oh yeah I agree but nothing is perfect right? Maybe it is and maybe this is it.

Got around to watching again and fucksake, Cariuma ads! I feel like messaging their social media and telling them they are ruining the best thing about skating for a while.

Just goes to show that with the right mix of stuff you don’t need to do the most mindblowing stuff. This part is a fucking joy!

1 Like

That half cab flip crook was a thing of beauty

1 Like

10 mins long though. Going to get grilled for this but that could’ve been a bit shorter

2 Likes

Disclaimer: had to pause it to change a nappy and do a milk feed

2 Likes