Landscape Seasons + (No more Landscape)

CRV WKD and Mersey Grit are the best UK companies.

1 Like

What is Mersey Grit?

Didnā€™t realise CRV WKD still made boards.

CRV WKD was actually a brand? Thought it was just some inside joke among mates

1 Like

I canā€™t find a website for themā€¦

https://carvewicked.bigcartel.com/

They have boards out, even pro ones.

Christ. Thereā€™s so many. Itā€™s overwhelming. Theyā€™re all competing for a tiny market as well. Insanity.

I thought it was Australian

Real shame about Landscape, theyā€™re the only British board brand Iā€™ve bought boards from since BP went under. It sometimes felt like they lacked a bit of direction/strong marketing for a while, but theyā€™ve put out some really good stuff over the years.

damn gutted about landscape, classic company

thought it was a shame descent went down pulman had a sick thing going there

1 Like

Could be getting my wires crossed, and it wouldnā€™t be the first time but didnā€™t Landscape kind of become a thing because of some weird identity issue between UK based Organic and US based Organika, name wise that forced the UK company to have to reinvent itself?

Yeah Iā€™m sure this is correct.

Just watching the vid now and itā€™s a shame theyā€™re done but nice to go out on a high note, I suppose.

I interviewed Joe earlier this year and there was a bit of Landscape talk: https://www.northskatemag.com/new-blog/joe-gavin-interview

Here are those bits, for the mobile bois:

How much did Massey have to do with shaping the whole image of Landscape?

Oh man. I think he had everything to do with it. I feel like Portraits gave it the look that weā€™ve always tried to keep up. He gave it that style and that video definitely said a lot about Landscape. Thatā€™s the kind of Landscape that Iā€™m always aiming for.

Fos, the owner, has been out in LA for a while now, but how much input does he have into Landscape?

Fos and Nick [Orechio] from Power Distribution make the decisions really. I just kinda put things on the table, and try and help out the team, and get people boards and whatever. Itā€™s a weird one, because I just want to skate. But I have to step up, I have to do it and it makes sense. It was almost just the same shit I was doing anyway. General hype and always wanting to film. I always thought that Landscape should be making a video ā€“ if weā€™re not doing anything we should be working on something! So as soon as I kinda took over I just wanted us to film because thatā€™s all I know! I just feel we should work towards something and give people something proper. Thatā€™s what you want when youā€™re sponsored by somebody ā€“ you want to be part of something and work towards something. In a way that would kinda reintroduce Landscape too. Now that thereā€™s a few different people on the team. Just to get skateboarders backing it again, on a purely skateboarding level, just because we all love to skate and we want to make a video. I just wanted to make something, basically!

Itā€™s almost ten years since the last Landscape video. Itā€™s going to be a reminder to some people and an introduction to others of what Landscape is all about.

Yeah, exactly. I donā€™t think thereā€™s going to be a massive change in what we do. Weā€™re still going to do the pro logo boards and stuff like that. Keep it clean. Some people wonā€™t know what it is and what itā€™s done, so we want to try to show them that. And also try to bring back a little bit of that British skate video vibe, where itā€™s spread out. In my head, I want to get a trick at Lloyds, and I want to get a trick at Bristo Square or Southbank. Iā€™m not trying to find some crazy new spot. I think with a lot of things everyoneā€™s trying to find the new shit. Weā€™ve got something good here in the UK; it looks sick. Weā€™ve got classic spots! Letā€™s make the most of them.

ā€¦

Whatā€™s next for you then? Getting the Landscape video finished?

Yeah. It would be out, I think, if I hadnā€™t rolled my ankle. I think my whole motivation for everything was really low for five months. I couldnā€™t even skate to film other people, so I didnā€™t do much. I feel like when I can skate Iā€™m quite good at getting other people to skate as well, so we can get a lot of shit done sometimes. But when Iā€™m not skating Iā€™m just not even bothered. Itā€™s hard to say to myself, ā€œIā€™m team manager. We still should go on a tripā€, and I should just chill and sort it out but at the same time Iā€™m just like, ā€œFuck thatā€¦ I want to skate!ā€ Haha! That sounds stupid but my heart isnā€™t in it if I canā€™t skate with the boys. Basically Iā€™m holding everyone up! Haha! Maybe I should just have put it out when I had like thirty seconds of footageā€¦ But nah, I need to do something proper before Iā€™m too old.

1 Like

I got asked to ride for ā€˜Organicā€™ by Fos in my old Slam days. I turned it down as I thought the name was weird and really not my vibe. Heard that after a while there was some issue with Organika in the US so they changed the name to Landscape.

A bit check me out but you know, chill.

4 Likes

Wasnā€™t Organic started before though?

How many skateboarders do you think there are in the UK who buy a board every few months?

Iā€™m gonna say less than 4000.

Yeah I think it might have been but maybe there was more weight/money behind Karl Watsonā€™s gig

Without doubt, still not on really, even back then the UK was hardly a small player in the grand scheme of things.

Also, Organic was backed by Slam and Landscape was Fosā€™ own gig. I might be making this up, but I think he wanted total control over it with Slam being the silent partner, but it didnā€™t work out like that, so he went off on his own but couldnā€™t take the name with him.

Also, was nearly called Skyline.

2 Likes