Landscape Seasons + (No more Landscape)

I love little industry knowledge like this and you were way closer to Fos than I was, all great intel chas

Way too BMX.

Iā€™d have thought JDM rather than BMX

Exactly! Youā€™d have jumped at it if it was JDM style, right? I thought of that first too, but I think it was Toby who said it was too BMX sounding.

Also could have been Forest Skateboards, but I think there was something to do with Notts Forest football club owning copyright to all sports goods with Forest in the name. Again, I could be making this up?!? Iā€™m old and it was a long time ago.

Quite into that.

Technically, in Japan, it is called Forest Skateboards. This is the kanji for Forest.

4 Likes

FACT OVERLOAD

2 Likes

Yeah, I quite enjoyed learning that little extra. Cheers.

1 Like

Organic kept going out of Slam as a kind of shop board brand for a little bit after Landscape started, so I think there was probably more of Fos wanting control things than Karl Watson issues.

Iā€™ve always wondered thisā€¦ how boards would a company like Landscape sell a monthā€¦ Theyā€™re reasonably well known, not a bedroom operation, but I canā€™t picture them selling that many boards

And how many of those 4,000 are buying a Darkstar board from Skate Hut or some shit, some shop thatā€™s got fuck all to do with skateboarding?

1 Like

A lot.

WATCHED THIS LAST NIGHT ITS FUCKING SICK M8

1 Like

Skyline->Landscape->Portraits->Horizons.
Nice.

1 Like

It was gonna be called Forest. The logo is the Kanji for tree and multiple of the same kanji means Forest. They couldnā€™t get the rights for it because of Notts Forest football club, so Landscape was chosen (not long after the Belong tour vid).

Just to give you some insider insight on this. Massey 100% driving force behind the original Landscape lineup. We lived together in when all this was put together and the video was cut in my home editing suite. Made my blood boil a bit seeing Fos claim being the ā€˜Tony Wilsonā€™ of Portraits because he was signing the cheques to get that video made. Massey, the team and myself were all out on Blueprint Missions in the van and Blueprint petrol card for the majority of it. Snowy & Toddy, both lived with us rent free for some time during the filming. Anything that wasnā€™t filmed by Chris was shot by myself as we all skated together and given to Chris for final edit. So in factā€¦ no cheques were signed except for the Ā£500 ā€œE-macā€ that got given to Massey at the end of it for making the whole thing. Which Iā€™m sure was a business expense anyhow. To add to itā€¦ Masseyā€™s name taken off DVD packaging when it released with Sidewalk, which was called a ā€œmistakeā€ when flagged. As far as Portraits and the up was concernedā€¦ nope there wasnā€™t a Tony Wilson. Massey pulled that whole thing off.

15 Likes

Damn thatā€™s savage.

Thatā€™s heavy. I wasnā€™t aware of all the inā€™s and outā€™s of that side of things. I always felt like Fos started Landscape but it was Massey really was the one who shaped it into to what it was to be. I wasnā€™t aware of the finances or who got credit where.

I donā€™t think I asked you about this before, but what actually went on around that time of the Belong Tour. Those guys were riding for Organic, but it was kind of done. Were you lining up any of them for Blueprint? I would hear rumours, but wondered if it was more like Chinese whispers.
Then thereā€™s that Goldrush song for the Surplus cuts on the Belong Tour video, called Landscape. Did that come before the brand? Or was it all part of the plan? I forget the timeline of everything around then. Those guys were bouncing back and forth between your house and mine. Skate missions when they stayed at your place and smoke out and party when they crashed at our place.

Just watched it again for the first time in years. Classic U.K vid. but yeahā€¦ no real ins and outs. Massey, myself and later Oliver Barton lived in the Cawdor / Hamilton skate houses. A huge chunk of Portraits footage came about because we were all out filming together for the Lost & Found Missions. Ches was in Sheffield doing some Joel stuff. Joel stacked loads on a road trip through France and Spain that Barton, me and Baines took. It was sick timeā€¦Massey edited the whole thing by himself, the edit still stands up.

I posted because I wanted to clear up the claim in Fosā€™ Slap questions that he was the financial driving force behind Portraits because itā€™s not true. That video was a product of Chris Massey and the energy that came from living in at Cawdor and Hamilton.

7 Likes

How much did Massey have to do with shaping the whole image of Landscape?

Oh man. I think he had everything to do with it. I feel like Portraits gave it the look that weā€™ve always tried to keep up. He gave it that style and that video definitely said a lot about Landscape. Thatā€™s the kind of Landscape that Iā€™m always aiming for.

Fos said Snowy didnā€™t fit on Heroin so he made Organic/Landscape so heā€™d have a company to skate for, being such good mates and Fos really championed Snowy. It was almost like, when Snowy started to lose interest so did Fos. Might not of been that way, just looked like it from the outside.

A Snowy Landscape, ha. That just made me chuckle more than it should.

3 Likes