Mark Gonzales appreciation thread too.

2 Likes

making pissing about on a skateboard look the best thing

9 Likes

Him again.

Wearing Neds shoes.

9 Likes

Sometimes it’s not about the destination…

14 Likes

Mad that he still goes for it at his age

That big heavy board can’t be the easiest for manuals either

2 Likes

I almost posted this!

My favourite of all the 40/50 year old men falling over in a car park.

I would have gone home after two (maybe three) smaller tumbles. :laughing:

3 Likes

Any one of those slams on that trick and I would give up for ever.

3 Likes

I’m actually flabbergasted that he got up so many times - they were all proper slams. Maybe him filling out a bit over the years makes taking the hits a bit easier? I’m a skinny streak of piss and one of those would be enough to end the session (yes, I’m a soft lad).

*edit - I recall that his first nickname was “slam man”, so he clearly has some innate ability for it!

3 Likes

Yeah, you gotta respect the persistence, eh.

A couple of weeks back I found an unskated crusty looking ledge, went down and gave it the rub brick and wax treatment. I did mean to lacquer it but I gave it a few 50s and it started to go, so session on. I kept crooking it and wanted to get a back nosegrind instead. I couldn’t land a decent one. I didn’t want to go home empty handed so thought I’d settle for a snowploughed effort. I covered the top in wax, plus my nose and front truck.

First go I unexpectedly sort of landed in a back noseblunt and slid out and BAM! It was so quick. Like fired out of a cannon straight at the floor quick. Somehow I got my hands down before I smashed face first into the ground. I took a minute to compose myself and tried again.

It stuck dead despite how icy I had made it with the wax overkill and I supermanned, arms out, to the flat again. I thought fuck it and I gave it one last shot and It slipped out on top just like the first attempt and I had to stick my hands out again. I had to call it a day.

After decades of slamming there’re a few bits of my body that, if I slam on them just once in the right/wrong place they end up fucked. I went home with tweaked wrists, smashed palms and two of my fingers on my right hand were numb for 24 hours.

It’s now just over two weeks later and my wrists still feel a little jacked and I’ve still got speckly palms. I’m a couple of years younger than him and I’m in better shape but those slams knocked the shit out of me. There’s probably a lot to be said for being a bit of a chunky monkey.

7 Likes

Because he’s a New Yorker - “Hey, I’m skating here!”

2 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/LwmSCI1

Can’t seem to embed

This really brightened up a shit day

15 Likes

wtf

that’s so good

54 as well!

2 Likes

Mad innit. That one in the Blind video is underrated too- full rotation going well fast

5 Likes

Saw your post while on holiday last week and made the best of my lunch brek today. Thanks mate.

https://streamable.com/jx0gaw

8 Likes

My second* = franc!

(*age related disclaimer here)

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing these clothes on and off for a while now. I always thought they were unauthorised knockoffs like those Far East Bobby Puleo Traffic decks… Clearly not.

1 Like

Brooklyn Banks handrail, 1987.

4 Likes

holy shit! both the trick, and that it was even filmed (at nighttime too)

2 Likes

There’re infrequent occasions when I would like to have an Insta account, this being one of them.

I had a dig to see if I could find the photo/ footy of the aforementioned elsewhere but no dice.

I did find this memory jogger though.

I don’t know who shot it but I had the colour version pride of place over my desk bitd. It (the full colour shot) was published in Edge magazine, (UK surf / skate mag), in ‘87. I think it may have been the April issue and was probably part of a short Gonz interview. It also may have been a slightly different angle and I’m pretty sure it was less blurred. But who knows as a lot of time has passed and the ol’ memory’s not quite what it used to be.

2 Likes

That is the colour one - wherever you’ve got that from has changed it. It’s from Transworld, June 1987 (the Swank-push cover) and O shot it.

3 Likes