Middle Aged Shed

hahaha Muska 100% pumped on literally anything

The Muska learning how to feed chickens!!! Day made.

2 Likes

What witchcraft is this
20K Likes, 256 Comments - Travis

2 Likes

It’s the same technique as is used for cutting in when laying (fine) turf properly.

The wall plugs where my blinds have been drilled in have come loose. When I pull the string to open the blinds they fall out. Any quick ghetto fixes for that? Thinking of just shimming the drill holes with paper and superglue or something.

Don’t want to have to drill them again, I’m not very handy.

Stick a match in them or some smaller plugs

2 Likes

Glue new plugs in with plenty of gripfill or similar.

1 Like

100% what Harry said, matches in the hole beside the rawlplug snap em off at the wall and it’ll fill the gap nicely.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Our washing machine died 10 days ago. The technician came today. Turns out a mouse entered the fucking machine and damaged the water drain pipe chewing it. What a brian cant of a mouse. My cats bring us mice pretty much every night, most of the time they’re still alive and I rescue them in the middle of the night, grabbing them in my hands, taking them to a safe place in the garden, making sure my cats won’t find them again… Karma is a myth.

The technician obviously didn’t have a replacement pipe in his van but he ordered one and told me it’d take less than 3 weeks to get our machine fixed. 3 FUCKING WEEKS. As if we haven’t already waited long enough. For fuck’s sake.

4 Likes

If the wall is totally fucked you can screw a bit of wood across (small simple skirting or something), then screw the blinds into that, it’s way easier and more forgiving having wood to screw straight into

Gripfill is the bodgers answer to every problem.

Thanks for the advice I stuffed a bunch of matches in and bought an electric screwdriver and it’s all sorted. Feeling very manly and proud of myself.

Might go break some more stuff so I can fix it.

3 Likes

I think I’m naturally not a self promoter but pretty pleased with how this turned out and I’m trying to push my own stuff a little more these days so here is a table and benches I made for a friend last week. All English grown Oak. She dropped on me just as I was starting that the front door to her flat is ridiculously skinny so the table splits lengthwise and bolts together underneath with hidden pins.

23 Likes

Woah that is properly beautiful furniture

Are you all self taught or is this part of your job/did you have formal training?

Mostly self taught, I’ve worked in places before doing timber framing and some architectural salvage/restoration so picked up bits and bobs along the way like basic welding and machining and a familiarity with most machines you would ever find in a decent wood shop. I’ve had my own hobby workshops for years so just messed around building things. I’ve had a definite bump in the last couple of years with my comfort zone and quality though I think, in the good part of the learning curve.

I work in a secondary school now part time as a technician and a lot of my job involves figuring out how gcse and a level /engineering students can make the things they come up with and vaguely leading them in that direction without doing it for them.

That all plus I’m doing a mechanical engineering degree at the moment so I’m very much in a problem solving mindset right now.

7 Likes

And the school of common sense and why not!

Sounds amazing. I found an engineering workshop in the basement of the university I work at and the guys in there can literally make anything. They get academics walking in like:

I want to dangle a camera from cables suspended across a 100m wide lake in -30 degrees and film ice patterns. But be able to remote control it moving around from another country.

I want a tiny little Petr Cech helmet to hold a brain implant in place on a mouse.

And these guys just go ‘yep’ and make it. Like the A Team with phds. I bet your job is really satisfying.

1 Like

Kind of where I’d like to move up to after this I think, it’s much more satisfying working with the older ones who actually want to make something interesting. I have to teach 14 year olds how to use a lathe sometimes and they don’t give a shit.