Music thread

I prefer Tweez and Isn’t Anything, but ten years in a record shop probably exhausted Spiderland and Loveless for me. For now.

2 Likes

I was the same and found myself really enjoying Come On Die Young (which probably makes me a Mogwai n0ob in some circles). My girlfriend is a huge fan, so I found myself digging through the albums I bought yonks ago in some bundle a proper go.

She said seeing them back in the early days was good, they were supposed to be proper loud haha.

But when it comes to post rock I’m mainly into Godspeed or Tortoise.

1 Like

Spiderland starts off interesting with the riffs and changes but later on tails into dirgey so I can sort of see the mogwai comparison, but as I said, mogwai are far more polished in timbre, Slint had that bedroom guitar sound and production, which is part of the charm. Also the reason I really like the Fugazi sound, even though it’s too quiet in the mastering, it’s poorly produced which in turn makes it refreshing and ironically a sought after production sound. Slint have that in buckets. I need to hear tweeze again but because I don’t have it on CD I would never think to listen to it. Might order a copy now.

Mogwai were alright live when they were playing club venues, things went downhill when they started to sell records and realised they could just make the same one again and again (everything after Mr Beast). Come On Die Young was good though, the first one was overrated. The singles before Young Team were great so I guess everybody automatically liked the album even though those songs weren’t on it and it wasn’t that good.

Slint doing Spiderland live was embarrassingly boring, for band and crowd. I didn’t really mean to be there and the band clearly didn’t want to be and did not enjoy playing their most overplayed record to a half-full room.

The 2 albums after Mr beast had a few songs between them, I’m Jim Morrison, Daphne and the brain, Rano pano are great, and the rest boring and then everything after that was really bad.

The Glasgow one was on the day inbetween Sonic Youth’s two-day Daydream Nation residency, which probably didn’t help. Those two shows were like the Glasgow indie Christmas work night out or something. They also played an extra hour or so each night, whereas Slint were only going to play Spiderland, and everybody who went knew it.

1 Like

Got the days mixed up, it was Slint, then SY twice.

4 Likes

tweez just came through the door this morning. Kinda looking forward to listening again.
I have recollections of really spiky start to it and loads brighter than spiderland but I have no memory of it particularly.

Also, because it came recommended when I ordered Tweez, I thought i’d buy MBV loveless, an album that I have never heard. In fact, I have never purposely listened to MBV but most definitely will have heard some over the years.
I only started thinking maybe I should listen to them after the “MBV MBV MBV More MBV” lyric form The Leanover getting stuck in my head. Although I still won’t be getting into the SFL anytime soon.

1 Like

I bought a DJ controller a while back and created a post about wanting to do a live stream at some stage.
I managed to record a reasonable full hour set of drum and bass.
Since getting the controller I’ve been buying tunes online and gradually building up tracks to form a set.
I’ve bought lots of stuff that I like but I wanted to achieve a certain vibe similar to the sort of style I used to play 20yrs ago but the modern take on it.
This is the first complete set that I’ve done in 20yrs and it’s been mighty fun.
With the tracks that I have that didn’t suit this set, I shall be building another set of a different vibe, and then probably another and so on.
From what I gather having got to know you over here through the years, there’s probably not much of an appetite for it but I shall leave the link here for anybody who cares to listen, maybe even share onwards to others beyond here who might appreciate it.
Having listened back closely myself, there are a couple of sections that I know could be improved upon but I’m not sure you’d notice too much if you’re just listening as a casual listener.
I will warn you, it’s not gentle plinky plonky liquid and doesn’t really draw on any jungle influences, it’s more tech stuff than that and quite noisy.

Ignore if you like, or give it a go… choice obviously is yours.

5 Likes

Nice, gonna whack this on at work tomorrow, got some repetitive jobs on so this should help it fly.

1 Like

Couple of tracks have been released from the upcoming posthumous Jason Molina album.

1 Like

Oh shit!! Looking forward to this (although that feels weird to say, as I wish he was still around to make more music)

Had a full listen. I’ll be honest, some of it is not my cup of tea at all, I don’t like vocals or vocal samples, I prefer darker stuff, and there was some cool bits in here. Also, I have no idea what you’re doing and what’s in the original tracks but I didn’t hear anything that sounded out of place or jarring at all, unless I missed anything when on the phone. Sounded great though, really zipped through my monotonous job. Nice one.

1 Like

music from delia derbyshire, london modular alliance, aphex twin & more on this…

pretty enjoyable watch !

4 Likes

Ha, that’s a really helpful list actually. I listened to loveless and Isn’t anything last night while playing skate2. I vaguely recognised a few bits from loveless especially, definitely heard the first track.

12thy takeover on dublab today

1 Like

Yaaaas.

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCEwUFtjAr4

3 Likes

The Sub Club have a crowdfunder for themselves because they fucked up their furlough application, somehow. It’s smashed the target, despite the boss recently saying it can’t reopen until there’s a vaccine.

And despite relentlessly posting pictures of himself on exotic beaches and in private planes on his Insta.

The Sub Club used to be great but it’s irrelevant now, unless you’re a couple in your 50s wanting a safe place to hear MOR house music.