Music thread

Anyone listening to the Drum & Bass special on 6 Music today? Bringing back some memories. Well I say memories, the late 90s and early 2000s are a bit of a blur, but still.

Yes. I’ve got it on.

For some reason I have a funny relationship with D&B - some tracks I love and literally can’t keep still for, where others do my head in so much that it’s feels like I’m about to have an anxiety related episode.

:man_shrugging:

Seriously let down by Fabio when he was being interviewed by Lamacq the other night and said the “Original Nutter” was his favourite of all the tunes in that d&b World Cup feature.

Yeah and there was hardly any D&B. I feel cheated. It’s like Brexit all over again

thoughts on the somewhat sudden “dnb” resurgence as popularized by say macky gee or whatever sasasas are doing these days? i know alot of guys who are into that and i just cant get behind it, 90% of it sounds like it was plucked from the same synth pack and most of them have a 3 minute runtime so the dj’s are essentially mixing drop into drop into drop to the point it’s just a consistent barrage of hectic synths and basslines which have no real variance. from a crowd hype standpoint sure but i know a couple of guys who go to shows like that and they’ve summed up dnb as being about the “drop” or “filth”. kinda funny one of them describes himself as a dnb head yet when i played a bunch of undoubtedly classic dnb tunes (ltj bukem - atlantis, renegade - terrorist, origin unknown - valley of the shadows) he hadn’t heard a single one and denounced them for not being “filthy” enough.

i mean maybe it’s just me but i enjoy dnb tracks with a good atmosphere, progression and build up as opposed to just straight SICK DROPS BRO. dom & roland tunes are a good example of it, back when tracks would have a 7+ minute runtime to allow mixing in and out, not just drop into drop

1 Like

There are only 2 D&B tracks anyone ever needs

Live version of Billion Dollar Gravy. Fucking loooooooove this so much

… and Racing Green because it’s happy

Two tracks is it?

Maybe Venetian Snares doesn’t count. Good vid though.

Ah, two tracks you say? I think these were the ones you were after:

Western Tune is great.

There are so many good tracks spanning genres of d and b.

This stands the test of time.
I also like investigating sample sources for old tunes.

Sample comes from…

I’ve also fallen out of love with DnB. I used to DJ a little bit (when I say a little bit, I mean I mostly mixed in my bedroom and I did two sets at my friend’s parties). The current culture of EDM and ‘OMG SICK DROP’ has infuriated me. I haven’t listened to any in months. The whole rave culture also seems to be infected with middle class uni students who only listen to Chase and Status, but they turn up to jump up raves smashed on Mandy and start moshing. When Andy C released Heartbeat Loud it was the nail in the coffin.

P.S It’s too hard to choose only two tunes, but I’ll drop a few of my faves down

I’ve pretty much shut down on it.
There are still things that come to my attention because of how well made they are and I get sent the odd bit to critique.
I was heavily into it, playing in clubs and production with friends who are actually pretty still rather big in “the scene” worldwide now.
There is still lots of good stuff around but you really have a long job separating the wheat from the chaff.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

This stands out for the year it was made.
Way ahead of its time.

2 Likes

Got to know Dead Dread.
A brummie who ended up hooking up with a mate in Derby after one of our Technique nights.
Also went under the name of DJ Ascend, amongst other sudonyms on Back 2 Basics label.

northampton legend haha, been playing in the pub here recently a bit, so mad !

Who?

My favourite album of all time is Infected by The The.

this live breeders album never gets old…

1 Like