Music thread

I pretty much only ever listen to instrumental music and have done for quite a while. It’s been classical in the car for about twenty years now. Classical, ambient, drone, ‘experimental’, dark jazz, some odd Japanese stuff and occasionally some vapor-something and not much else for me these days tbh.

2 Likes

You boys into Coil as well as NWW and c93? Big fan. Like the bits of NWW that I’ve heard but never sure quite where to start for a deeper dive.

I haven’t listened to anything other than mixtapes for ages…used to mix it up a bit when I was younger (see what I did there?) and put some avantgarde stuff on occasionally but I just can’t be arsed now. I think I used to listen to stuff I didn’t really like. I’ve got some Cut Killer and Spinbad mixes that I have just been running on repeat. This kind of mix ticks everything for me, maybe not that diverse, but I love it.

1 Like

Listened to this out on my run earlier. Enjoyed it very much so thank you.

1 Like

One of the worse bits of Covid music wise for me has been never getting that moment when you’re in a bar or club, half cut, and the DJ plays something amazing you haven’t heard before. Haven’t had that feeling forever.

Spotify on radio mode while sat on the sofa doesn’t really do it.

1 Like

I was thinking earlier I haven’t heard proper loud music in so long. Can’t play it loud here. Need some bass wobble in my chest

Got any ambient recommendations?

1 Like

i’m still listening to anything I have time for, does not matter the genre. Genre’s mean nothing really, Most types of music have things that hook me.

1 Like

what kind of ambient? electronic? Classical? mix?

I wondered if there was a psychological study on this phenomenon…googled it…damn…loadsa results.

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/39148636/Bonneville-Roussy_et_al-music_and_ageing-4-with-cover-page-v2.pdf?Expires=1634070617&Signature=PtfgrvvuzreTzaxyElfwSiaoKE~Q~cJrEn9MuS3RYVKvlHUwmj1XQBEW8DrGignXFnjPWAu-eLhQV5tdAswyU~ru~PSOOzd7os6id7KykjC3-~wuuVuYBphNR3NPAC4xk0AUlI9TgmIMo4xPpp1n-p5D-BOI8wHC9q-HtPXK2S5Zn5cpPs48aQ63So9szzgtqPOAOFMND5ca0M3w7Bp00gR4mv4WeOCepSy5Q28gu7er5gD~Ou7MqSEZIRYtXjDxgAAJbnZOfXBbg9SmUxMVZEeBuegARBcnf9dlFVsOCp4tpFiERsMp3w0Sk9YdPZvmGIXaE-DXf-TWPyTo5B6gsA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8062927/

Some interesting conclusions:

“…as individuals transition from adolescence to adulthood, stable self-concepts are formed (Harter, 2003), the ability to resist peer pressure increases (Steinberg & Monahan, 2007), and identity becomes invested in newly emerging social roles (e.g., spouse, parent, career professional). Raising a family and pursuing a career provide adults with defining features of their identities. It seems reasonable to suggest that the meaning derived from these roles diminishes the function that music serves in shaping identity and offering fulfillment. The current findings suggest that adults may not have as much psychologically invested in music as young people, and instead listen to music for purposes of relaxation and entertainment. In this way, adults may rely on music less as a means for identity development and more for purposes of emotion regulation or stimulation.”

I suppose with being a parent and watching a lot of news you have earned the right to relax a little :smiley:

1 Like

First half of that Spotify thing. And Rameses III.

1 Like

I don’t really use spotify… Or rather I don’t pay for it and I can’t stand the ads. I’ll have a look at the list though

Anything really. Usually electronic. Generally the going to sleep kind

1 Like

What about Stars of the Lid? That sort of thing? They’re very sleepy.

1 Like

I’ll give em a go cheers. Usually the Kompakt Pop Ambient comps, Parish got played to death a few years ago

1 Like

Or have you? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Kind of related, I got on another one of these comps. Don’t think I’m going to do any more though as I didn’t get paid anything for the last 3. Exposure means sod all really.

I don’t either, there’s so much missing and hearing Billie Eilish advert every ten minutes doesn’t make me want to listen to her any more than I do, which is none.

I do wish Mixcloud was a little more friendly-looking, so that more people would use it and it’d become the standard. My old work had the office next to them (where Boiler Room is) and supposedly they don’t make any money.

1 Like

got tanum back up in december and i’m fucking buzzing for it already :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

side note - anyone got reccs on a good, easy to use site to sell tickets through? not resident advisor

these 3 xvarr releases are sublime tbh

Rafael Anton Irisarri – The Shameless Years (2017, Red Transparent, Vinyl) - Discogs is great for sleeping too (think build posted this years ago cheers builda)

i’ll smash a big wetransfer link tonight if i’ve got time

1 Like