Music thread

I liked the section on Mozart with Robert Levin. I’m listening to his record on Spotify right now.

I’ve been listening to Current 93 this morning - just twigged your username must come from Les Chants de Maldoror.

1 Like

That’s the one! :slight_smile:
I’ve heard Current 93 be mentioned a few times but never properly checked them out. Any suggestions on a good place to start?

I know what you mean. I think that kind of free music works way better listening to it live. Whack it on it the shop! I love the idea of it but after a bit I find myself wanting to listen to Blockbuster by Sweet.

Yeah, Nurse With Wound. Arf.

2 Likes

Yeah, why not. Loads of guest perfomers/writers (more than usual) and it’s way later, so feels a little like a compilation but it’s probably, objectively, the ‘best’ Current 93 record.

2 Likes

Me and some other folk are involved in some improv music + performance (dance, text, audience interaction, flopping about etc) events in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Best one is called Collective Endeavours (started by guitarist Jer Reid + contemporary dancer Solene Weinachter), but there’s also Something Smashing and Iceberg Improv. Often in collab with folk from the Glasgow Improvisers Orchestra.

We try to work with an audience in mind, and set ourselves constraints to work within, so that it doesn’t come across as either too “random” or self-indulgent/private (obvs this kind of work is always going to be indulgent to a certain extent, especially as it isn’t “about” anything), but it’s a tough balancing-act to keep the balance between chaos + structure.

For my tastes this kind of freeform work has to be REALLY good to be “headline” material, but it often works well as the opener for a more traditional, set thing. So Derek Bailey being the opening act for Sweet could actually work really well!

1 Like

This for me though:

On the album here and a brilliant spilt 12" with Sol Invictus and NWW, which I think is the one absolutely essential Tibet/Stapleton release. Sol Invictus’ finest moment on that one too:

2 Likes

The early mid-80s stuff is quite heavy. It’s a bit more discordant and Nurse With Wound-y.

The later stuff can be a bit repetitive, often the same speak-singing over the same chords. I think that’s probably the Douglas P. connection.

I really like his cover of Comus here:

@buildafire probably has a much better informed take.

3 Likes

Cheers for the Current 93 and David Tibet tips. I’ve only ever heard Nurse With Wound tracks in a dance studio context, but want to give it a proper listen at home, too.

Have you read and adored England’s Hidden Reverse?

1 Like

Horsey is great.
I’ve really been liking Earth Covers Earth which I think he did with Tony Wakeford.

1 Like

Definitely; Earth Covers Earth is something very special.

The collaboration with Stereolab is great.

This is my fav NWW track:

1 Like

ah cool, no but cheers for the heads-up!

If you can’t find it I’ll leave my copy in Focus for you. It’s absolutely outstanding. As is anything Keenan does, whether you like him or not. Which I do. A lot.

Need it back though.

1 Like

No-one can find a copy! I claim first dibs on a lend!

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for the offer! I’ll see if I can source a copy but if I’m having trouble will send you a dm :slight_smile:

I pretty much only listen to ambient and New Age in the house, because it’s hard to work with anything else. Hip-hop and dub in the car, but that’s only about once a week. Spent 22 years (until last year) basically deciding what music people should either buy or listen to so it’s nice to forget stuff and not even care what things are called.

Used to be great to tell people about new discoveries, but people are swamped with recommendations now, so who cares? Doing that Spotify playlist for Wainwright was good fun because it doesn’t matter. It only needed to be what I liked.

1 Like

Well aware that I have already promised this to you, Edinburgh Man can have it afterwards.

2 Likes

I’ve gone full-digital, so it’s scrolling rather than flicking now. Will no doubt dust a turntable off when my daughter is bit older.

Hopefully she’s really good with technology though, so she can download all the new 4-D mega-HD hologram movies for me before they come out, once technology overtakes my understanding. Quite looking forward to that. “No, actually I can’t fix it. So tough shit.”

1 Like