New episode of ‘This Old Ledge’ with Ted Barrow

M. Paul Freidberg also designed the D7 blocks plaza/ampitheatre, as well as the banks and pyramid ledges. Pretty cool.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Best series

I wonder how many New York spots he’ll go through and if they will do any other cities in such depth.

Such a good episode again!

I’d love to see episodes about Pulaski and the Welfare banks in DC.

There’s a lot to talk about in Philly too I suppose. I went there twice, staying at a mate’s, we skated one of the universities (Drexel I think) and so many spots you’ve seen in vids were so close, all on the same campus, it was mental. I felt like I was in all the Eastern Exposure and Traffic vids, then I found that rail Maldonado 5050’d for his Welcome to Hell ender and I basically exploded.

3 Likes

Until they’ve used up all the footage RB gave them?

1 Like

The series started in SF. Missed a few notable ones before they moved on though

1 Like

Ted looking likes he’s got to film Old Ledge at 12 then Chelsea Away at 3!

Love this series! Fly him over to London!

1 Like

That was a CP jacket, wasn’t it? Looked like he’d tucked the goggles in.

Yeah looked CP or Stoney to me

Not Stoney, so the material and zips kinda make it CP. Check the hood, it looks like the front has been folded round.

He’s done SF and NY spots because he’s lived in both of those places. Would be interesting to see if he could do something as good for somewhere else. He’d need to do a fair bit of research.

Which British spots would be people like to see get this treatment? Off the top of my head, the obvious ones:
-Southbank
-Lloyds
-Bristo
-Bute Square
-Wolves Civic Centre
-St. Paul’s/Knightrider

3 Likes

Round the back of Carpet World has strong historical links to tapestry weaving.

16 Likes

Livi.
Stockwell
Meanwhile’s
Liverpool
I feel like English cities could have their own episodes.
Would be good to see someone from here do a good job of it. Ted probably wouldn’t do skateparks but some skateparks have just as much social history

5 Likes

Ted stayed in Paris in the 90s. An episode about Palais de Tokyo (Le Dôme) would be amazing. Hôtel de Ville in Lyon too!

1 Like

Ted linking up with John Rogers to explore spots, folklore & history around London could be a good start point

1 Like

Interesting how much the progression of street skateboarding is in debt to modernism and modernist architecture. Particularly in Britain. Would we be where we are without that post war boom of municipal shopping centres and schools?

2 Likes

The Edgware Road bowl, designed by Lorne Edwards with the same modular sections as Kennington and Meanwhile 2 (and the Stockwell Road bowl), which ended up on a farm in Fakenham.

2 Likes

The man himself, (pictured with the Sims Taperkick gifted to him by Frank Blood - screengrab from Rob Ashby’s London Calling skateboard collectors interview).

There was another Meanwhile style mini halfpipe in Vauxhall that utilised Lorne’s Radical Banking modular construction - check RAD Where? guide for details.

2 Likes

Absolutely. And as cities regenerate and these buildings are replaced by uniform steel and glass structures, all without any real pedestrian-level embellishments, we are in danger of having less and less spots to skate.

1 Like