Nine Club

Man they really got my attention back to the nine with Alfs one, I hadn’t been that stoked on a guest for a while. He’s really honest and open about his intentions and so natural about skateboarding. True genuis on wheels! And still fucking kills it. Someone like Alfonzo was needed after jesse’s shitshow of a stutter awkward fest. If I ever wanna get juiced to learn some new tricks and have a fun skate, I watch an Alfonzo Rawls clip before I leave.

1 Like

Also why hasn’t he aged at all?

Witchcraft.

1 Like

Re: Spankys insta comment- Haven’t noticed, I’ve seen some bangers on there but try not to follow most skateboarders on insta. The majority of dudes are kooks. I reckon if every skater in the world was pooled into a ratio of kook and non kook the latter would be pretty low.

What’s that in the mug? Pens? Haven’t watched this yet.

Yeah, I was thinking earlier how fucking thick so many US skateboarders are. As bad as our education system is, America’s seems completely shot (insensitive wording but fuck it) plus the drop out rate from skateboarders adds to this.

Great when someone who can actually string a coherent sentence together appears on these podcasts. Terrible when they don’t.

But then they don’t do the annoying British thing of identifying people based only on their first name and where they’re from. [Home town] [First name] is a lot less personal that a unique nickname.

This week is…

Mike Vallely - Enemy of the Sandwich Table

5 Likes

Are you kidding me

Foook! I thought you were joking!

Without watching a second of this I reckon it could be interesting in places. He came up at that time, he’s seen some shit, blatantly got some stories. As long as he’s not an incorehent mess it’ll be fine

Is he just listing off all his companies he’s had over the years? :wink:

3 Likes

I’m about an hour in after my dog walk this morning and I’m actually finding it quite enjoyable, I think I’ll have to tackle it in a few sessions but he can at least string a sentance together and seems to have some interesting enough stories.

Going in one at work today. First few minutes been cool, will give Mike a chance.

Going to break it down an hour at a time on lunch at work. Looking forward to this tho.

Just over an hour in and, even though I don’t think I’ll make it through in one go, it’s a good listen.

Would need longer than 5 hours for that

Skateboarding, being the hottest skater ever for 5 minutes, hockey, lone wolf poetry, film, tv work, beating people up, Black Flag, his other band, and that’s just off the top of my head, he does have a lot to talk about and likes talking about himself.

Made it 50 mins or so into the Mike V EP and had to abort.
He’s not nearly as interesting as he thinks he is.

I’m enjoying it to be honest but not in the way he wants me too. For the most part he sounds so genuine, level headed and down to earth but then he says something so up his own arse that it smashes anything he said previous. And the shame about it all is that it probably did all play out exactly how he’s saying, with the same gravity he’s professing. It’s just so cringey that he’s telling the story about himself in this way and trying to convey some humility as well, which does not really work. If lance Mountain was telling the story of Mike V and Mike V was unaware it was happening then it would have so much more gravitas.

I made it through the whole 5 hours. He can tell a good story, but who knows what the truth is. And how can someone earning $15,000+ a month (in 89 money), end up on without much now? What did he spend the money on?

1 Like