On / Of

Think this came up in the old forum that despite board companies not being the cash cow for pro skaters, they’re still useful (rather than essential) in defining the image of the skater. Some board companies are stronger in this regard more than others, say like Baker or Anti Hero, but I’d put that down to the low entry level to start a board brand, usually with a crew of friends like Sour, compared to an deliberately assembled team such as a shoe company.

Board company is the identity, shoe co is the salary.

5 Likes

Times have changed after taking many on-off hiatus from skating in the last 2 decades I have certainly noticed that board sponsors ain’t the meal ticket anymore. Half of the videos I have watched on YouTube this year I have no clue what boards they ride only their shoe sponsors. What does the shoe sponsor pay a skater not the big established koston, Daewon etc but your average clip a month current pro?

Is the board company really an identity in the time of social media?

I mean I guess it still is right now, but we’re only a few years into social media rotting the core of the established skate industry away

The skater is the Brand now. It’s a horrible self serving, seratonin fuelled get paid world.

1 Like

Are there any actual legit, in their prime skaters that don’t have a board sponsor though? Skater being the brand is still pretty kooky

Evan Smith and Mason Silva don’t.

1 Like

I don’t think Mason Silva has a board sponsor and he’s one of the gnarliest dudes right now.

Cole, Leticia, Smith and Mason Silva… Can see that as a brand starter…

They seem like temporary things to me rather than actively choosing not to

Could be wrong though and they’re leading the way

I said legit

1 Like

How long did Shane and P-Rod go without board sponsors whilst starting their respective ventures. Didn’t seem to affect them, I mean alright they were starting something, but it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if they weren’t, they’d still have had Nike, Street league and everything else.

Don’t see your point here, they did start something

The break in board sponsor was probably them figuring stuff out and getting it totally right, I’m sure they always knew in the back of their head they were starting something.

Ha! That wasn’t a reply, I’m just saying, wouldn’t be suprised if that’s a brand starting line up… Cole and Leticia must be doing something, they left Plan B too close together to not be. Would imagine Cole would want a couple of Street Leaguers too, Maurio McCoy perhaps. Thought Evan Smith might have been getting on Anti Hero for a minute…

Also companies are always going to need to sell boards, how easy is that going to be without any riders? Companies are always going to offer sponsorship to people they feel fit and people are going to take it if they feel they will fit because why not? Hardly like many board companies put immense pressure on riders to film for 4+ years for some intense video project, board company obligations are far far less these days

I feel like the only riders who make it without are board sponsor aren’t getting offers/ expect too much money. You’re either a kook or arrogant if you’re a pro making a living with no board sponsor imo

Primitive, edit wrong silvas

guess or real?

Dude is amazing to be honest.

Edit: ha cool, I see.

I got confused between Mason and Miles (I Think)

yeah cool. Mason is way more REAL than Primitive I reckon but REAL is a big team.

Miles left Numbers for Primitive.

Mason left Element to nothing yet. Did he have a guest board on Grimplestix? Pretty sure Evan Smith did.

Edit: Yes he did.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzgWCjTFxSD/?igshid=ai7yiwmaj0jt