Pasta

I cooked pasta because of this thread last night. Was gonna do something else but did that and there were leftovers which I reheated for my girlfriend when she came back from work and she was well stoked. Grazie mille Sidewalk.

3 Likes

Mate, sometimes when you’re right, you’re wrong. So no, I haven’t bothered to bring it up yet.

But that starchy pasta water is very good for making an emulsion. So whisking a ladleful into a pan of garlic or sage butter makes an incredible pasta sauce.

made pasta last night and i went to town with the salt where it was basically the sea.

1 Like

…and…?

It tasted nice I’m sure.

And he didn’t put oil in the water because its an absurd, pointless, stupid, wasteful thing to do :grinning:

sorry, it was great.
(m&s rock salt btw)

Someone’s doing alright

8 Likes

Tory salt

6 Likes

made with Labour tears.

1 Like

We were given some Himalayan salt which is a bit pink. I’ve been using this as our good old white Brexit salt has run out. Will I get some sort of mystical health benefit from this?

It’s mined from Pakistan

Just regular cheap table salt in the cooking water. Oil, if you use it, for flavour after serving.
Not much point in using expensive salt like Maldonado sea salt in cooking because it dissolves and mostly washes away once you drain the pasta. But again, sprinkled on top after it has a nice flaky texture.

I pretty much just have olive oil on my pasta, maybe some butter and a load of black pepper. Veggie who doesn’t particularly like tomatoes.

You tried it with a bit of sliced or chopped garlic and chilli? Very simple but very nice.

Aglio, olio e peperoncini. An Italian classic. Even better with a drop or two of crème fraîche.

Fuck me this thread is spinning me out. Why would you put oil in the water? It’ll do nothing except waste the oil.

The pasta water goes back into the sauce to thicken it because the starch will firm it up. Itll season it as well because of the salt you added.

Also, normal table salt in the water, flake kosher salt to garnish.

Stop getting cooking wrong [/fatlad]

2 Likes

Correct.

2 Likes

When do you put the ketchup in?

1 Like