Pasta

You guys are a bunch of fucking amateurs. I knew this would break the forum lol

This site is dope

I guarantee you, if you’ve ever enjoyed a delicious ragu/bolognese in italy or an italian restaurant, it had milk or cream in it.

5 Likes

That’s it. I’m having pasta this evening.

2 Likes

Seconded. Oil, chilli and garlic pasta is great. I have it with chopped parsley.

1 Like

plus half a bottle of red and a shit load of chopped bacon

1 Like

This is making me sad to be doing veganuary.

Nah, I’ve been having a blast making vegan meals over the past few months and in no way am I converting, just consciously eating better as much as possible. Of course, I have treats, you have to but the vegan way is not as bleak as many think.

2 Likes

I bought pritchard’s vegan cookbook about 2 years ago and am yet to make anything from it

6 Likes

What sort of thing are you making? I’ve been doing veganuary, which is going ok, but my stomach can’t handle the vegan staples of legumes and too much gluten, so I’m mostly relying on vegetables.

I’ve made some nice meals and have found a new love for beetroot and sprouts, but I think I’m struggling to get enough protein in. I’m often just get after eating

Sorry for derailing thread…

The only thing I make from it regularly is his slaw, which is pretty tasty

Me too with sprouts, fried with herbs as a side with anything.

You can make all the staples, been eating lasagna, curries, moroccan tagines, risotto/paella’s, sunday lunches etc etc, and of course stir fry’s. I have been really surprised by how tasty everything is, I don’t miss the “meat centrepiece” at all really especially in saucy dishes, meat just becomes texture in a tasty sauce whereas veg still retains it’s flavour in the sauce.
Missus has some good cookbooks but the only ones I can remember are the Bosh! ones.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I fucking love green pesto and now I’m hungry. Thanks Billy dick food

3 Likes

Yeah I know, I’ve been quite enjoying it. I could totally go vegan eventually.

But the thought of deglazing a pan of caramelised pancetta fat with red wine is making me very, very hungry.

4 Likes

My favourite pasta dish lately is just garlic, sundried tomatoes and tinned tuna fried and tossed with spaghetti, drizzle with olive oil and serve with a liberal amount of oregano or parsley. Takes fuck all time and is absolutely banging.

1 Like

On the Christmas shopping order I ordered chorizo shroomdogs for a paella and sainsbury’s replaced it with vegan pigs in blankets which I would never buy because vege bacon usually looks like plastercine or a scab but thought fuck it, cook it and stick it on the side of Christmas dinner with the Mushroom wellington and they tasted just like they looked, like Frazzles. Kinda enjoyed them weirdly.

2 Likes

Call me shocked when my old man started going on about Matt Pritchard. “You might have heard of him, he’s a skateboarder!”

“Yeah dad! He was on You Bet, remember?” :smile:

“He’s ace, ‘dirty vegan’!”

My dads a fan.

Anyhow, on topic, salt in pasta and no oil for me.

Yes! Oregano is fine too.

That’s nonsense. The point is when pasta is cooked, gluten causes the pasta to stick together. Adding oil to the water does not prevent this from happening, it just makes it more difficult to rinse off the pasta.
How to prevent pasta from sticking:

1. Use a large pot of rapidly boiling, well-salted water and stir the pasta occasionally during the first minute of cooking.
  2. Add it to the boiling water and then stir it for the first minute of cooking, and then drain it once it’s cooked through.
3 Likes

Not to cast aspersions but I wondered about joining to comment on a very old pasta post.

Googled the name - a lot of comments on a lot of forums, all in the past few days.

Quite a range of subjects - Tropical fish, airgun enthusiasts, bodybuilding, arborists, book club, stoves, home security, Pokemon…

1 Like

It’s a bot searching out words it’s programmed to understand and can reply too.

1 Like