Penny

I can dig this. In recent years there have been a couple of 10-second clips on the internets of Neil Blender, carving or pushing on flat. So rad. That’s all I need to re-stoke me on Neil Blender and everything he ever did. I want to see similar from Natas. I want to know if Natas pushing and carving down Santa Monica beachfront still looks like it should. Surely it does? Surely Natas still rolls like Natas? I want to know.

1 Like

I find it funny some younger skaters think Penny’s filmed a part for Menikmati, a long side the rest of the team. Knowing how much the rest of team were pushing skating at the time. That his older footage didn’t look out of place in there to them, with no context to what was going on.

1 Like

The whole ‘penny’s mistique is ruined’ thing is partially true but what’s interesting is that none of it is really because of him. He existed for so long with no footage, and now, everyone and their dog will film him given a chance, despite the fact that he’s over 40 and with the reduced skill set and grace that comes with age.

Maybe if we stopped putting every tiny thing he does on the Internet, we’d still be more hyped when the occasional good bit of footage appeared.

2 Likes

Not sure what people expect of him, he’s older, and proper cooked from overuse so i’m surprised he’s even skating as much as he is, that’s inspiring enough.
You can’t change his legacy, that will always stay intact does not matter what anyone says, his current output can never sour that or shouldn’t do.
People that never witnessed his peak will never understand because it was only ever good for that time, skating got better and he stayed the same and then og course the rest takes it’s toll too.
None of us at this age are doing anything that we used to be able to do whatever level we got to, that’s life.

1 Like

i was thinking about this the other day. if someone came out today with the exact same style as Penny, doing the same things as Penny in his heyday, they probably wouldn’t even be pro. It’d just be “oh nice style”, onto the next one

1 Like

I guess you could say that for anyone, it’s hard to compare from one generation to the next given how things progress.

but people do

“I never got the whole Penny thing” said by people who were slightly too young

It is interesting though, not taking anything away from what Penny has done, but it’s hard to disagree that he’s lost his style more than other ‘stylish’ skaters of his age, and I wonder why? Is it drug use? Is it age? Is it just the natural way of things?

Jason Lee still looks good when you see a clip of him. Gino still has his style (his tricks went years ago). Chico still has it.

But does Natas? I want to know!

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s cooked himself. I don’t think his style has change that much he’s just not as fluid as he was, there are plenty of instances when he’s does that arm thing as a youngster it just looks better when you’re more fluid.

The thing I take away from this is; If you were Tom Penny, would you not skate at all anymore, to keep the mystique around yourself, or just keep on skating?

In this internet age, what people do with your image is out of your control. I have more respect for him for the fact that he’s still out there just skating how and where he wants to and hopefully, regardless of cameras and content opportunities.

The only way I could be disappointed by him would be if he quit. Penny still skating, at any level, is the ultimate stoke

3 Likes

I think the mantle of being Tom Penny must hang heavy on him. There was a Supra demo here on Saturday and he just turned up and watched from the sidelines whilst smoking, meanwhile Muska killed it and was zooming around like a grom that was riding the peak of an energy drink high.

Spencer Hamilton is fucking amazing.

Don’t be ridiculous.

Muska seems hyped on skateboarding at the moment, it’s rad

2 Likes

Penny is rinsing it without rinsing it.

I’m sure Insta generation don’t know or give a fuck about him, or flip or supra for that mater

Does anyone? Out of all of Flips riders under 30 who, apart from Luan, would the youth actually be fans of?

Even Gonzales chilled on his career post SOTY. And everyone over 30, apart from Lance, is just chilling until retirement.

you don’t think? obviously the only reason people are doing such ridiculous stuff now is because of what went before. Penny stuff is timeless to me, but if Johnny Skatebottom came out of a part tomorrow that was a carbon copy of Penny’s menikmati part, would people lose their shit? Would he get a board?

Hitting up that variety of terrain with that much style? Yes, of course they’d be pro. They might not have tons of pro shoes or be thought of as changing the game so radically but they’d be pro in my view, especially given how not all stunt men get all the fanfare now.

1 Like

Did Penny just have 2 models on es? Did he have a pro shoe on supra?