Pointless Topics

44 now and still trying to do technical tricks. Seems like kickflips are almost as much of a struggle as switch 360 flips, but I still enjoy trying to do them, when my body feels up to it. I always thought I’d start skating more transitions when I got older, but I think that’s because that happened to the generations before me, but I was always more of street skater than a ramp skater, so I feel like I’m gravitating more towards curbs than transitions as I get older.

I’m the same re transitions, never really skated them back in the day so they scare me more now than slappies on curbs.

Deffo this, I get how transitions = less pushing = less hurt, but I never skated ramps so I’m not learning now

I did skate transitions all through the 90s. Took a bunch of trips to Marseille when there wasn’t much other concrete to skate in Europe, and rolled in on vert, but definitely enjoy more of the curb side of things these days. I still think it’s a generation thing.

I’m the same even though for the past year I have skated nothing but this tiny ramp. I back to how I was at my peak but I was never a ramp skater anyway so that’s not hard although I doubt i’ll be able to take it all to bigger ramps. I’d love to find the time to skate street more and get some stuff back.

this is me, grew up skating car parks in West London and old style parks like Harrow. probably been skating about 4 years before i even learnt to drop in

i spent ages trying to get good at transition but the whole back and forth thing just doesn’t do it for me. i’m 35 and mostly skate flat ground, manual pads and ledges. still progressing, it’s finding those things to challenge yourself with that aren’t going to kill you

:clap:

1 Like

I keep thinking about getting a different shaped board, like a big square nose. But I still try to flip my board every so often and that won’t happen if I go wider than 8.125. I think it’s down to boredom. I used to have a bowl board that was 9 wide with 60mm wheels, only used it a couple times. So I’m going to stick to 8-8.125 for now. No funky shapes.

Me too, it works.

My board is 8.25 with 60mm wheels… Super soft too!

8.125, dodgy shaped Nora board.

1 Like

I used to love skating mini’s but now even basic tricks scare the hell of me. I guess it’s due to not being able (or willing) to take a slam anymore.

Yeah, I don’t like falling anymore, so I try not to. Just learn easier tricks that move on to harder ones. You learn in small increments, minimises the danger and keeps you on your feet while still kinda progressing.
You need to come for a sesh deeg.

1 Like

What if it is the ‘easier tricks’ that are scaring me?

It’s probably more about the fact that there aren’t any minis around my way so I barely ever skate them. Plenty of bowls but no old fashioned 4-5 ft high wooden minis.

Yeah man, deffo need to skate your indoor.

Yeah I sort of feel the same, I’m skating more mini ramp since I’ve got back into it (I’m 29 but I haven’t skated since I was 14). I’ve only just started to ollie consistently while stationary. Even just doing an Ollie while moving scares the crap out of me, just because I’m scared of slamming hard. Full time work and two kids means I only get to skate once every couple of weeks as well, so every time I get back on the board I feel like I’m starting from fresh

I’ve started to relearn ollies, I consciously started from rolling (slowly) rather than stationary. I think it’s actually easier, and it’s definitely easier to go from a slow rolling ollie to a faster one. I think having ridden mountain bikes for years (basically took over from skating) trying to do anything stationary is a pain, the faster you go the easier it is.

2 Likes

Well you just stop being a dick and do the easy ones! ha just kidding. When we first built this ramp I was scared of standard 50-50s and if we didn’t have this ramp i’d probably still not or never do one again on any other ramps. Make a trip down here once a week for a sesh and you’ll be back on it in no time. You’re only just over an hour away innit.

Innit. I’ll see if I can convince whymylegs to dust his board off.

yeah definitely! get a little crew down. It’s ace fun.

Tallinn 10.45pm check how light it is

3 Likes