Pointless Topics

Tell me about it!

Quiz aside, when we’re allowed to we should definitely set up a pub night.

2 Likes

Yeah 100%. Maybe even do some of that skateboarding I hear so much about?

deffo in

It’s been that long since I drove I can’t work out why this viral thing on Facebook is wrong. Wife currently pissing herself laughing at me and I can’t work out the problem. Really annoying and I’m too drunk to go out now and find out why it wouldn’t work. Help me out.

What difference does it make if you use your left or right foot to press the brakes?

1 Like

Right foot.

If you have both feet on the pedals you’re going to be working them both at the same time, some of the time. Cars don’t like that.

5 Likes

One foot, the right one.

3 Likes

She spelled braking incorrectly. Is that the joke?

1 Like

Right foot only. Left is for the clutch pedal which automatics don’t have.

2 Likes

If you need to press the brake milliseconds after using the accelerator something very bad is or is about to happen.

I tried out adaptive cruise control today and barely touched the pedals for the whole drive. It’s so good

1 Like

Scenario 1 - I want to slow down/stop. I take right foot off accelerator and push it down onto the brake pedal.

Scenario 2 - I want to slow down/stop. I take my right foot off accelerator and push my left foot down onto the brake pedal.

Don’t get it. Difference is??

I think with scenario 2 there would be too much temptation for your left foot to accidentally rest on the break pedal leading to an accident.

I say this as someone who can only drive automatics (long story) and started driving around 1998.

Scenario 2 just sounds really awkward. A decent automatic car will have a foot rest for your left foot.

Ok yeah awkward and a bit weird (and I’m a one footer) but I’m getting heat like I suggested braking with your left hand not foot

The brake and accelerator pedals are on the right hand side of the footwell close together. You’d have to sit really weird to use your left foot.

4 Likes

First time I drove an automatic I tried using my left foot for the break. I think the muscle memory of pushing the clutch all the way in meant I slammed the breaks on when I just wanted to slow down a little.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s actually a good idea to put your left foot under the seat the first time you drive an automatic for just that reason.

You left foot is used to pressing the clutch all the way down if you try and left foot brake you usually end up pressing the pedal too hard. Rally/race drivers use left foot braking to get back on the throttle quicker and stuff. Someone once told me though for you to left foot brake you first have to do it without thinking about it

1 Like

Weirdly though if you ever drive a go kart it feels normal pretty much straight away.

1 Like

Ex3l1gKWEAAu_jU

3 Likes