Pointless Topics

That has to be a good thing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve bought shoes from Consortium before, but this genuinely makes me never want to order from them again. This kind of meta-ad works well these days but they seem to have missed with this if they think sending somebody unusable grip is funny or irrelevant.

If the people there don’t know how big a skateboard is, I’m out.

2 Likes

There was a good tripadvisor review of a shop in Thrasher where there was a complaint of the employees seemed hungover and smelled of weed. That worked.

Where is that advert? Why is that funny?

In Free, and it’s not funny. They just think it is.

Might have been funny in a fashion mag, since it seems to be basically laughing at somebody for wanting the right amount of griptape, in a “Haha, stupid skateboarders!” way.

3 Likes

Yer why would you think that’s a good idea.

Been buying a lot of stuff from Flatspot recently, impeccable service.

1 Like

Flatspot is rad. Years ago I got a board (a shaped board with arty graphics) in the post from them, and I was working out how to send this sent-in-error board back when I realised it was a gift. Presumably for buying lots of shoes from them. Came with a little book too. Rulers.

4 Likes

Retail is so shit in this country. I phoned up a store yesterday asking if the student discount advertised on their website works in-store. It’s a 20% discount so not to be sniffed at. Also, I’d prefer not to order them as it takes 5 - 7 working days.

Anyway, I phoned up and just politely asked if they do the discount in-store. The guy answers the phone with this dejected “yeah?”. I explain/ask and he says that they don’t. So there’s this awkward silence for a bit where I’m trying to understand the logic of them disincentivising customers from visiting and thus buying from their store (which they no doubt pay through the nose to keep open.)

The guy just stays silent on the phone and there’s an awkward pause
Me: okay, so just to get this clear - the company prefers me to buy on the website rather than actually visit the shop?
Him: yeah if you want I suppose?
Me: I’m failing to understand, why would the company not offer the discount in store as well? Surely it’s better for their existence/survival
Him: That’s just the way it is mate.

2 Likes

That’s how it’s going though, everywhere. Most companies will gladly do away with their expensive rents to sell the same stuff at greater volume online.

I wouldn’t say it’s as binary as that. I realise everywhere is relying more heavily on online purchases and that’s where the efforts are directed. But there’s definitely still a value to brands having a physical presence on the high street.

My gripe was more just the shit attitude (which is so prevalent in retail in the UK) but also the fact that if it was say, in the US, they’d go above and beyond to ensure that the discount is granted whichever way I shop → that they walk away with a sale and the capture of a customer feeling valued.

I’m not saying he should be bending over backwards for a potential customer, but I’m assuming he’s one of the lucky ones in retail who still has a job. Not that difficult for staff to show basic manners.

I don’t love the American model for retail of excessive ebullience, but I absolutely hate the general attitude you experience at stores here where you’re left wondering if they even want to sell anything at all.

1 Like

He’s probably on minimum wage and just found out that the branch he works in is going to be closed or something.

People in the UK should be made to work for a year in a bar or a shop before they set out into adulthood.

6 Likes

Something I don’t understand about retail is why there’s a Deliveroo for food but no Deliveroo for other stuff. Why can’t I ring up the shops in town and get stuff delivered to my house in half an hour?

3 Likes

There was a thing in Barca that have this - was called Glovo, they could pick up anything for you!

2 Likes

Yeah you do have cycle couriers and stuff, but I want it to be more easierer.

Edit: Yeah that looks sick actually!

1 Like

This is easy!

I used to order Xbox games and got some guy to bring me some shoes from FTC because I was skating the other side of the city that day was jokes, think it was like €5

1 Like

They have that in America, checkmate or shopmate or something.

Had a quick look at Nick Dompierre’s youtube channel. When I last saw something by him a few years ago it seemed he was just straddling this line between posting bog-standard fitness videos, mixed with some modelling stuff and occasionally skating. Now the dude just appears to be posting relentlessly about how much crap he eats. Is this a thing?

Hes a brickshithouse now isnt he?

Yeah, the dude is massive. And fair play to him if he’s enjoying this quite odd profession of just eating doughnuts on camera all day. I just remember an interview some years back before he turned his life around about how he had some serious addictions and personal tragedies, so I’ve always kind of checked up on him once in a while to see what he’s up to now.