Pointless Topics

Absolutely terrible metal skatepark deep in Northumberland if you are desperate:

https://goo.gl/maps/pXYktaW8RoyAA89a6

And another abomination which is actually closer to you:

https://goo.gl/maps/mjSRhPg3d44NcVJ49

Cheers, that will do for an escape a couple of mornings

Oh legend, good shout. Cheers

I managed about 2 weeks without booze. Just got back from a 3 night break with family and in laws. Couldn’t manage without a glass of wine but didn’t get pissed.

Not drinking is so fucking hard Jesus.

5 Likes

You’re not back to square one though, that glass of wine was just a blip. Just keep thinking non-boozy thoughts.

3 Likes

It’s really just that I absolutely cannot chill in a social setting without a drink.

What kind of setting in the evening?

Any? Haha

1 Like

More annoyed by his thought that once a woman can menstruate she’s old enough to get pregnant and therefore old enough to marry.

Having a part nobody watched in the best video ever sure did fuck that guy up. That and religion I suppose.

6 Likes

What is McCarthy’s role/involvement in Skateistan?

From my research (a 30 second skim of Google) he did some decks with his artwork that sold at auction with the proceeds going to Skateistan and has done for other skateboard related charities.

I guess Jordan has a point - the nature of McCarthy’s work isn’t really in line with a children’s charity!

You know if you tap on the right hand side of the screen you can fast forward past all his stories :fast_forward: :+1:

3 Likes

Who is he?

The most fast forwarded man in skating.

10 Likes

The pioneer of the ‘vert button’.

6 Likes

The token vert skater from arguably the most influential street video, turned to islam I think and has been spouting shit for years. He’s largely irrelevant and has been for about 30 years

1 Like

Until now. He’s quite relevant now.

I have a difficult time with Islam. I have a difficult time formulating a view on Afghanistan too.

You’d think it would be great that a skateboarder who has converted to Islam is able to share some of his thoughts on the situation but…fucking hell…he started out by stating that God’s law chooses when girls become women. When they’re menstruating they’re women. That has so many implications and is pretty fucked up in my opinion…considering how the treatment of ‘women’ differs from children.

(Context - from Slap at 56.15)

So disappointed and more confused than ever.

I quite like Paul McCarthy’s butt plug sculpture, Tree. He did a giant inflatable at the Tate that was really good too. He was good friends with the late Mike Kelly (did the cover of Sonic Youth’s Dirty) whose work I much prefer. They are both super-into the transgressive. Lots of naked performances rolling around in ketchup.

Hmm…that’s some interesting context.

Do you think the Skateistan thing is a deliberate act of provocation then?

Not that it should matter if it is, unless you’re viewing it from the perspective of the one being provoked I guess.

Definitely don’t think they’re out to provoke. I think he’s just one of a number of artists they’ve got to donate artwork. Just happens to be the one who pushes Jordan Richter’s buttons. I think they’ve worked with Basquiat and Raymond Pettibon as well.

1 Like

Ok so not the driving force Jordan makes him out to be. Damn he’s really stirring the pot isn’t he?

1 Like