Pointless Topics

No it’s not coincidence.

You gave Wickes your email and now you’re getting Wickes ads on Instagram which allows targeting by email.

I use a different email address for my Instagram account, there’s no connection there. Or is there…

Edit: Also, Wickes don’t have my email, they’ve got my wife’s. And she’s not on Instagram.

Then they could be using footfall data like I linked above ^^. Or did you link your mobile number to the Insta account? Or they could be device targeting.

They could target anyone who has been in a Wickes with ads on insta. Pretty straightforward.

Edit: depending on what data you have given away in the past, they could also be linking your devices, emails, your social accounts, etc. They might have a whole load of footprint data from all over the place. It’s hard to say, it depends on what you have given up really.

1 Like

So they have your wife’s details so it’s probably a custom list they manually update constantly and i assume you’ve liked a bunch of your wife’s posts and mixed with GPS data they know you live together.

@jimo’s right, it’ll be the footfall thing, and my ‘two-level authentication’ on Instagram. Impressive.

2 Likes

This guy again, but this book is relevant here:

I don’t get targeted with relevant ads because I don’t have a phone, or one that is more than just a phone. It’s not because i’m bothered about these ads etc. I find it interesting more than invasive. Interesting to see what people feel is too much, what is invasive, what they stand up for against what crosses the line personally.
It’s creepy, yes, that it’s all underhand and no one really asked us if they could do this stuff (they kinda do but don’t) and I get it, if you want to keep yourself to yourself, your sex toy purchases underwraps etc.
I also find it interesting how misinformation is working lately, both sides of any argument where people think they have facts. No one has facts and if we do we don’t know we have them because there are counter arguments for every one. It’s what you choose to believe, based on your general outlook. If you’re selfish you’ll find certain ideas appealing, if you’re empathetic you’ll find other ideas appealing. It’s lucrative to let so much info be out there, to busy us, make us bicker amongst ourselves while serious things can get done, like making more and more money without having to explain.
I think it’s safer to say that the Powers at be are not as clever as some ideas suggest, tech is clever but not as advanced as theories would suggest but were not that clever, we’re too susceptible to greed and corruption to make things work properly and for good.
The facts for everything are probably out there, hiding in amongst the other shit, little bits of truth in every idea possibly. I just wish people would be more open to all sides to pick it all apart and get rid of the bits that are manufactured instead of being so bullish to think they have the one and only truth in their pocket.

i’m talking shit, fry me fuckers.

That’s quite a wall of text. Not 100% sure what the point is but I’d say if you don’t believe the facts that are being presented to you in any situation then you’ll need a stronger argument than this:

“No one has facts and if we do we don’t know we have them because there are counter arguments for every one. It’s what you choose to believe, based on your general outlook.”

“but I’d say if you don’t believe the facts that are being presented to you in any situation then you’ll need a stronger argument than this:”

Not nailing my flag to anything, just pointing out i’m interested in what other people nail their flags to. And as always, I rarely have a point :wink:

1 Like

Haha fair enough but it sounds like a good way to get into a lot of arguments :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that if 2 accounts are accessed from the same IP address (eg phone) then it’s probably the same person and it’s probably safe to assume that the same email/fb/mobile no belongs to them so it’s a fucking minefield if you want to avoid targeted ads unless you ditch your phone or have a super basic nokia or something.

it’s not hard on here at the moment

Ah fair mate!

Is it possible to die from a hangover? Asking for a friend

4 Likes

If a full English and full fat coke is administered early enough, chances of pulling through early are high.

2 Likes

Loooads of vitamins and loads of water are the only foolproof way. Hair of the dog also helps.

You also have to repeat “Urghh, I’m never drinking again” as often as possible, either into the bathroom mirror after brushing your teeth for the nth time, or directly into the toilet bowl after chundering.

4 Likes

Do as big a shite as you can - or throw up - and go to the pub. You’ll still be a bit rough tomorrow but nowhere near as bad as if you did nothing.

1 Like

With or without vodka

Yeah sometimes you can launch an escape sub, i.e. a large log that actually contains the hangover (ref. Roger’s Profanisaurus).

6 Likes

I think it feels like that sometimes. Maybe one in ten times, but when it happens… Good shit.

1 Like