Primitive ‘Define’ full length video AKA Joey Suriels Belt

General thoughts:

There’s a lot of people in the team who skate the same way, so I think they need a bit more variation in how they’re presented to avoid everything blurring into a mess of tall dudes doing switch back tails wearing trackies.

I really want a pair of those white gum Tiagos but don’t think my pants are loose enough.

Prod, Trent, Kyonosuke, Pedro and Franky stood out to me, I liked all their footage. Will probs never watch the rest of it ever again.

I want to go back and watch Carlos’ part with fresh eyes because I think it was probably insane but I was so bored by the end I don’t think I’ve given it a fair shake. His ender was insane, feels like he’s been sitting on that for a couple of years.

1 Like

As if they’ve got a Kate Bush cover over the credits. Stranger Things collab incoming

I got so bored I turned it off. Am I a bad person?
Level of skating was undeniable, but the video is so dead. No vibes. Apart from when the fashion guy put the white shades on mid line. Genuinely laughed out loud.

2 Likes

Just watched it all again and it’s better the second time around I reckon.

That Carlos part is actually fucked up.

hahaha looking forward to seeing this

I finished it and liked Frankie’s part the most alongside PRod, Wade and Tiago.

I’ll probably just watch those parts again at some point, but given that I have limited time thanks to my 4 year old… I’ll spend that hour watching Mind Field again for the 267th time.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this.

over an hour of face-melting supertech madness, but yeah, sort of mashes into each other and that music choice was woeful. No variation at all and nearly all totally shit.

Stand outs were Des Armo, Thiago, JB, Brian Peacock (had totally forgotten about him TBH), Franky Villiani and Carlos Ribiero.

Good to see a properly international team all over, and with Covid, etc., it means there’s a lot of local footage from Japan, Brazil, UK, EU, etc., along with the obvious stuff from Macba and Lisbon.

It could’ve been a legendary video, up there with Yeah Right or Fully Flared or similar, just the music choice didn’t work at all.

Agree with your bigger point about variety but Munro didn’t have any UK footage in this which was a bit of a shame.

2 Likes

Great video, awful music.

Apart from Tiago (08:50), Kyonosuki (29:10) and I liked Franky’s first song (50:48).

Tiago though. How fucking good?!? Wade was amazing, but mute button made it a bit better.

Vert button for Trent and that weird middle section with Robert Neal.

Missed that observation, hahaha.

1 Like

He’s sort of been on back to back trips overseas since that Free part. And when he spends any extra time here, it’s because he has been hurt.
I’d have loved to have seen UK clips but also, it’s kind of sick seeing one of the UK crew out there in the mix and putting down such good stuff.

That fakie flip was perfect.

1 Like

The opener with PRod skating to that Nas instrumental from Yeah Right raised a smile and had me hoping for the best.

Will have to rewatch Wade and Tiago’s parts - I know they were super good but Wade’s music was so meh it’ll be on mute next time round. Tiago’s track wasn’t the best version but was listenable unlike pretty much all of the rest of the soundtrack. Both of them had a trick unusually hatless, as did Marek. Just an observation that is probably of no significance. Maybe Primitive have a team barber :man_shrugging:

Then JB :+1: and then something something…

Yay, Brian Peacock. His section was the standout for me on the first viewing.

Robert Neal seems to be pretty much universally hated on here but I like the dude. The donning of sunglasses mid line also got a real life lol from me too.

That Kyonosuke kid was sick.

Around this point I think I was on burnout and had to keep reminding myself to keep on watching. Trent McClung was probably good, Dylan Jaeb’s introductory clip was underwhelming…I think. That montage from Worldwide riders (or whatever it was) just kind of passed me by. I need to go back and give it a second go because of Charlie obvs. Pedro Biaggio was a little different and warrants a proper standalone viewing (or not, it’s hard to tell after sitting through the thing as a whole).

Throughout Franky’s section I just found myself wondering how he even gets off the ground - he’s looking more like Mr Pop n Fresh each time I see him. I’m sure his part was worth me going back and rewatching it though. Spenny was, again, probably really good but I was past being able to pay attention. Miles Silvas was Miles Silvas. Gotta go back and watch the video in bits as Tre Williams and, more importantly, Carlos’ parts were just a blur.

Their team is stacked. I’m glad people are still up for making full lengths. I’m up for watching them. If they’re going to do it though, there needs to be a team image and some sort of cohesiveness to the video, which this kind of had, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of, or detract from, what each individual skater has to offer. The music choice felt like they screwed up. You can’t have an hour long video with what was essentially the same (shitty)tune throughout. It doesn’t work. Helas have a huge team and they managed to get the balance right in Fellas. That’s a fairly recent example but there have been plenty in the past as already pointed out - the Girl videos being a perfect template to work from.

Will go back and give it another go. Might take a break in the middle. Then it’ll be down to separate parts for me. Probably just Wade, Tiago and Brian Peacock on the regs.

Fakie Flip stood out to me, very very proper!

1 Like

Fakie flip was stellar. Also liked the nollie back lip. Don’t often see that trick, especially on such an awkward and long spot.

Going to America is a double edged sword. On the one hand, he can get footage with Primitive more easily but it also takes away his ability to get proper tricks on awkward, rough spots. He’s not going to keep up with the tech Gods skating perfect Cali concrete. He needs those cutty spots to shine, which I doubt many others on the Primitve team want to skate.

1 Like

You can still find that stuff out there and some people can even raise their level by making the move as well.

3 Likes

Totally. I think the WKND team do a good job of finding those sort of spots. But Primitive is way more tramline in the types of spots its riders skate.

1 Like

Moaning about the music makes me feel like a grumpy old fart. But so much of it was utter bobbins

4 Likes

I know what you’re saying but you’re right - definitely bobbins. At least it didn’t open with ‘Jump Around’ unlike that other highly anticipated one watch wonder from a few years back. That was a kick in the nuts straight out the gate.

1 Like

This is an internet skateboard forum after all! :joy:

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CegV93Nr_Xq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes