Read and Destroy book launch - London Calling 2 : 1980’s and ‘90’s Exhibition.

London Calling 2 - The 1980’s and 90’s. Dan Adams’ ‘Read And Destroy’ book launch.

R.a.D. (@readanddestroy) • Instagram photos and videos

London Calling Skateboarding UK (@london.calling.skateboardinguk) • Instagram photos and videos

I’d love to get to this but won’t be able to. I hope Winstan or someone will be filming and putting something together like happened with the first thing.

9 Likes

Tickets for the forum on sale now:

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/readanddestroyarchive/1300253

5 Likes

Unlikely I’ll be making any trips to London anytime soon, however really looking forward to the book arriving.

Nice little write-up:

7 Likes

Just ordered a copy of the book :heart:

1 Like

I’ve seen the book, it’s excellent. Hyped some of my favourites are in there, mad snoz doing that crazy rock, Curtis m at meanwhile, jagger at wheels, Isle of wight ramp etc

1 Like

Was scrolling through Ed T’s stories the other night, he was posting pages from the book - there’s a photo of a vert ramp in the woods. I’ve seen photos from that place before, out of interest, where was it?

Hertford. Where? Guide classic.

1 Like

I think it’s the one Paul Wright (iirc) built. Not 100% though

1 Like

Checked out the exhibition today. Sick. So nice seeing the pics massive and high quality.

Struck me how bloody male it all is… not that it was laddish in a cliched way (well a bit) and it didn’t seem weird at the time. I know it still is mostly a male thing but I do think skating is better for a few females in the mix.

Anyway that’s a tangent, the exhibition is great. All this stuff feels so much more alive than most of what passes for culture

2 Likes

Yeah we talked about that in the prep for the forum. There were 2 pics (iirc) of Sue Hazel in the exhibition but not in the book as I think there were concerns of tokenism.
It absolutely shows how much skate culture has changed for the better since though eh?

4 Likes

Paul Wright’s was in Chase Land Park, Chingford. For a few years I used to go there every weekend. I remember him breaking his leg there and then skating in a cast as soon as he got out of hospital.
I also remember Pete Dossett skating there as a beginner and I taught him fakie ollies, and then about 6 months later he was better than me.

3 Likes

I first became aware of that ramp from seeing the jam photos in BMX Action Bike - Oct 86, back when M:Zone was still Mud Machine. The Dean Rush sans helmet slam photo that TLB shot stuck in my memory. (Actually it was the wide angle photo with the white flat bottom polka-dotted with blood spatters I remember, only I couldn’t find it, but you’ll get the gist from this one).
IMG_0427

Jason Lunn both riding and skating hit a chord with me too at the time - as did those Life’s A Beach Three Stooges shorts, haha.

6 Likes

I also remember Lucian Hendricks skating there fairly often.

2 Likes

Cheers both - I think the Herts one must be the one in Ware though that I think Dave Allen had a hand in building

Thats Mon Barbour behind Dean Rush.

4 Likes

Yes, in my experience skating was almost exclusively male back then, Sue Hazel excepted. Nowadays you see girl skaters quite often. Back then you could skate regularly and not see a single female skater in ten years or more.

Yeah same. Lori wassername in Public Domain, that was it. Just how it was at the time though.

1 Like

Lori has a great fakie pivot.

2 Likes