Sandwiches

Oooof, now this is a thread!

Now seems like a good time to tell those south of the north east about stottie cakes

2 Likes

Slight tangent: I was in a Devon chip shop many years ago when the customers, who I think were probably from Yorkshire or thereabouts in front of me put their order in.

I didn’t pay too much attention until both they and the guy behind the counter started to raise their voices and got more and more agitated. They both kept repeating what to me sounded like the same thing and both were getting increasingly confused by the other person’s response.

Customer: Three cod and chips.

Chip shop guy: That’s three cod and chips. What size cod.

Customer: No, three cod and chips.

Chip shop guy: Yes, three cod and chips. But what size.

Customer: No, cod and chips. Bloody hell, what’s wrong with you?

Chip shop guy: Christ. Cod and chips! I know but what size cod do you want?

Customer: Not cod, you idiot, cod! Cod and chips! Don’t you speak English?

This went on and on. In the end the customer resorted to sign language to explain that what he wanted was in fact three chip butties/ sandwiches… three cob and chips :man_shrugging:

There’s your regional dialect differences with a very brief mention of sandwiches for you.

8 Likes

We should have a forum sandwich-off. Each week someone suggests a sandwich filling, and then the entries get judged

1 Like

what would yous call these?

I would say “roll” or “breakfast roll”

1 Like

Yeah, roll, for sure. I don’t know about breakfast roll though. Some may say bap. Maybe it’s a bun? It could be a cob for all I know.

don’t people in Leeds call it a “teacake” or something?

Over the Pennines you’ve got barm cakes

Yeah I’d call that a bread roll.

There’s tonnes of banging regional bread specialities that I love…barm cakes, morning rolls, stotties, scufflers, oven bottom muffins, Scottish plain, Swansea loaf, just off the top of my head. If the bread’s good enough I usually prefer to eat it just with butter. I used to be able to get Scottish Plain in the supermarket here but I haven’t seen it for a while…that stuff is the best for toast.

Relevant.

4 Likes

Ha. I very nearly posted this earlier

Cob

Anyway, I don’t get crisp sandwiches, the crisps lacerate the bread and it all falls apart so why not just have crisps on the side and add to a mouthful of sarnie as you go?

1 Like

You need a thicker loaf.

1 Like

A new bakery/pastry shop opened in my village a couple years ago and the sarnies there are sooo good. It’s all in French on this site but you’ll get an idea with those pictures.
I love getting 3 of those sarnies (wakamé, effiloché and roquefort being my favourites), driving up to the mountains and having them for lunch while hiking. This, with a thermos of Earl Grey, chilling in the snow, far from everything, what more could I ask for?

1 Like

Cheese and pickle?

3 Likes

Thread hijack, but that patisserie section is incredible.

:drooling_face:

Yeah mate, everything there is delicious really.
The guy who runs that place is actually one of the 100 best pastry chefs in the world. He certainly doesn’t fuck about when it comes to food.

1 Like

3 Likes

I love cheese and pickle!

Real cheese though… The stuff we invented, you know?

1 Like

Damn did the Swiss invent cheese? I never knew that, that’s sick. Respect.

To be honest I have no idea who invented cheese. :man_shrugging: