Shoes

Maybe raise the motion to whether that thread discussing the creation of a trouser thread has support by way of a thread with a poll?

Good thinking.

I’ll notify everyone by post that there’s going to be a poll. Best to have these things in writing.

Absolutely. Although, I’d probably clear that idea with @Spanky first. People might think a notification is a bit spammy.

Could email them first to ask them for permission to contact them?

Fuck, this would be so much easier under EU data laws.

1 Like

‘You have no authority here, LondonSkater’

4 Likes

I mean, you did just hand him that moderator contract. Now what?

Are you down to elaborate re: colourways a bit more? Just genuinely interested.

I’d always wondered if people get paid extra when they have a colourway out. I wonder what the difference between royalties on a colourway and a pro shoe are?

Also been thinking about it a little bit lately in regards to rider colours of pro shoes. Surely, that’s gonna be well expensive because there’s double to pay out to the riders there? Does that affect pricing?

When Shane O’Neil had a colour way of a Janoski, I think it was received strangely. I certainly found it weird but then I figured “Well how many people have had colourways of Half Cabs over there the years?”

Beatrice Domond had a colourway of AVE’s shoe recently - and maybe it’s just because she’s not as a big of a name - but there didn’t seem to be that same weird response as the Shane/Janoski thing. That said, even though it’s not that common, maybe colourways of pro shoes are more of a thing now? TX had a Busenitz a couple of years ago too.

Outside the sports brands, have any companies made a staple model into a pro model like the GT Blazer (which is genuinely retooled) and the Ishod Dunk (to a lesser extent)?

I’ve got a pair of the Andrew Allen Authentic Highs and I feel it has this paradoxical existence between a colourway and pro shoe. The regular Authentic is obviously a Vans staple - and granted the Authentic High is actually a short lived, old model they brought back for a AA/Hockey/Vans collab. But also, the only time the Authentic High was/is available is when it’s got Andrew Allen’s name on it so that kind of blurs the line.

Sorry, a lot of thinking/rambling out loud going on here…

Going backwards…I saw Emerica do the same thing with the Omen Hi. There is a Winkowski which sort of sat in between a colourway and a pro model, as it was an adapted Omen Hi with more rubber in places it needed it for support.
That sits in the same world as the GT Blazer or Ishod Dunk, I guess.
I should imagine meetings with these dudes are sort of half simple and half nightmare in that your brand wants to create a new shoe around this skater but all this guy wants is the one shoe they know and love. Hence these adaptations. For the brand and skater, it makes it a bit harder to shout that they have their own model, I guess. Taking away the heaviness of that story is probably a bit of a sting.

I do think having a Beatrice colourway of an AVE shoe is odd. Have any other brands done that? Was AVEs name still on it? If so, they’d be paying double, for sure.
The Janoski one was a bit different as it isn’t really a pro shoe anymore - Nike bought the name from him, so Janoski is a style name and nothing more right now. At least, that is my understanding.

As for payments - that’d depend brand to brand and contract to contract. But yeah, I’ve seen between 1%-6% at various shoe companies for colour way royalties. Seems to be roughly the zone people play in.
Pro models have royalties, too. Not 100% sure on the percentage zone there, though.
A pro shoe is still a very big deal, even at the smaller companies as the profit margins reduce on this sort of thing as they are usually tech heavy (even if they are a simple shoe, reinforced) which costs more than the regular line PLUS you’ve got another person taking part of the profit.

IIRC in a few interviews he has quashed that rumour.

One from 2016:

"Last year, it was rumoured that Janoski had sold his name to Nike for $4million (£2.8million) – a ridiculous figure that would have marked one of the largest shoe contracts in skateboarding history. Janoski called this suggestion “dumb”.

“My name is different, and hard to say,” Janoski told Ride last year. “Growing up, all of my teachers mispronounced my name. And almost everyone who buys and wears my shoe misspells and cannot pronounce my name when it is written on their shoes.” He added: “Dumb rumour! I wish there was a better one about me.”"

So is it ju-now-ski or ja-no-ski?

Ja-no-ski. The clue is in the spelling. Look at the word, and then you know how to say it. Works for loads of words.

3 Likes

Thanks. It all makes sense now

I say steffun janosskey

Apparently it’s stufawwn junowskey.

Yeh I heard Americans saying ju-now-ski and thought that was how it was supposed to be said

You’re very easily led, then. It’s not actually an American name…

Even after Stefan Janoski explained how to say it to Chris Roberts, within five minutes Chris Roberts was saying Janowski again. He really is a very boring and ignorant man, him. Don’t be like Chris Roberts.

1 Like

Come to think of it I’m getting that weird pronunciation from fucking biebel and Omar Salazar in interviews.

So basically we’ve all been saying it right but Americans call him Janowski.

lol

I’ve not seen that episode of the nine club. Thanks for clearing that up