Shoes

+1 for not feeling the wavy sole.

Spent a few days thinking I could go to a Vans outlet and grab a load of cheap skate shoes like the old days. Went to one today and it was chock full of Dad vans. There were only three skate styles in the whole shop: two old skool pros and sk8 hi pros with nothing in my size.

2 Likes

The return of the stash pocket.

Aren’t horrible Dad Vans the cool Vans? Has it changed?

2 Likes

These aren’t it for me, personally don’t like plastic or metal lace loop things can’t tell which they are

Even horribler Dad vans then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTAWNUZhTyJ

All I’m seeing is Karhu Fusion 2.0 ‘inspiration’

1 Like

I can’t believe I didn’t spot that. I love my Karhu Fushions… when it come to those es image

This doesn’t really concern me as I don’t skate in skate shoes - strictly Nike Tennis Classics for me , (or occasionally the Converse Dr J lows, whatever they’re calling those these days, if I want to switch it up). Even if I did, I couldn’t see myself ever wearing a pair of Globes. I wouldn’t hold your breath but there’s something afoot over there…

When I think of Globe I think of huge, lurid green/red suede monstrosities. Looking on the site it’s now way more restrained. A bit Sebago-y. And not many absolute honkers, very monochrome palette and would run most of them except the loafers/chelsea boots. So will be interesting to see what impact he makes.

2 Likes

This will always be Globe for me.

Quite a few great photos out there I’ve never posted because of Globe stickers in them too. One way to ruin a shot, that.

1 Like

My mate stayed in a skate house in Cardiff in California in the 90s and Ellis and I believe that lady were also house guests. Lovely girl by all accounts.

4 Likes

I had a pair of the black Evants (which use the same sole), it was way too heavy for me. I had them for a couple of months and then gave them to someone at the local skatepark.

1 Like

So he’s a brand manager then?

Maybe Im doing him a disservice but what exactly qualifies him to rebuild the brand from the ground up and introduce and legitimise Globe?

I’m not sure, but from what he said in that piece, I think his appointment was based upon his experience…of watching some job interviews on tv :wink:.

I suppose he’s sort of current and has a definite image. He also co-owns and runs Former with a couple of surfers, Dane Reynolds being one of them iirc. That might have held some sway with Globe seeing as they rehashed their surf side of things recently.

1 Like

Dont know either mate “Ill introduce them to core shops” will be Hi Im Austyn Gilette, want some Globes? I imagine

1 Like

Hi, I’m Austyn Gillette, you may remember me from riding for BAs company 3D. Oh, you don’t? Well nobody else does either. Anyway, d’ya wanna buy some Chet IVs?

10 Likes

Sounds like a little more than that. If Globe are repositioning their skate category he’ll be key in designing how the brand is communicated, so probably more a ‘head of’ skate brand design or something. And maybe a joint title like head of shoe design. I dunno.

1 Like

‘Creative director’

2 Likes