Shoes

That iteration ran into legal trouble with Kareem himself at the time. Circa shoes had something to do with it - I think Maldonado was on the team at that stage again, to help resurrect them with a shoutout to the early 00s.

2 Likes

Pretty sure there was a lot on insta of him wearing them with weird embroidered/bleached/slashed jeans

4 Likes

Oh yes, I enjoyed the trick but the jeans were dreadful.

2 Likes

1 Like

Haha such a good quote from the lads there as well.

I have a pair of those Williams reissues, in the ridiculous yellow and grey colourway. Don’t think I could pull off those jeans though. Pretty sure I can’t pull off the shoes either in fairness.

2 Likes

Grey and yellow is the original colourway.

I got the slim version and it’s pretty nice; enough to remind me of the OG but doesn’t require gigantic trousers.

1 Like

I think mine is the slim.

That explains a lot, especially why I’d see them on sale racks around that time, guess I was just too young to remember the original axion, I started skating around 2005 but was fairly uneducated coming into it didn’t really start to skate till about 2 years later but those first years I basically skated whatever I had to put on, I remember having some air walks that we’re kinda nice, some vans that were horrific, I learned to ollie in some emerica felts still love that model…

A couple of weeks back on Nine Club someone mentioned Saucony and the next thing you know a pair have appeared on the shelf behind Jeron and Eldy on this week’s Experience show. I guess they got sent a freebie, and that shit’s working…I’m going to have to grab a pair of those Jazz Courts to skate in just as a change from my usual Nike Tennis Classics.

https://www.saucony.com/UK/en_GB/jazz-court-nubuck/50723U.html?dwvar_50723U_color=S70618-1#cgid=originals&start=1

I might even have to grab these blue ones even though I usually only skate white shoes. Subliminal marketing doing it’s thing.

Can’t be calling them Jazz, surely.

Seems a bit weird eh? But yep, looks like they’re selling different shoes with same name.

I guess it’s not like Vans even use it anymore. Sadly.

Oh, I forgot all about Vans Jazz. I think Saucony have been making those Jazz runners since the early 80’s though, so I guess they’ve got a bit of history using the name. It’s just a bit lazy and unimaginative of them.

These aren’t skate shoes - just your run of the mill tennis/ racquet sports shoe. I’m gonna give them a go, (and probably dump them in the ‘should have stuck with what you know’ pile after a couple of skates.

Edit: I get you with the Vans thing. Not the shoe model but the stripe - the jazz stripe. Slow off the mark here.

Vans have been using it since the 70s though.

The stripe of course. I was initially thinking of that 90’s Vans Jazz shoe.

1 Like

Saucony, cbeebies presenters shoe of choice.

3 Likes

Being in my fifties and not having any kids means that I don’t have any reason to be watching Cbeebies but I’d guess, if you’re right, that it’s a way to get away with wearing reasonable quality trainers and still get around the BBC’s no logos policy with them not being that recognisable to a lot of people. I mean, their logo isn’t 3 Stripes or a Swoosh, so that could be it. I might have to start tuning in to have a look and when mine arrive I could try applying for a job on In the Night Garden and see what happens :wink:

1 Like

Think theyve relaxed it to be fair, there was a blue peter presenter wearing jordan ones the other day