Skate Wizards

yeah that was going to my in to the Revive/Braille thread. He’s not been there for a while, I got the impression he was kind of humouring them. I quite like his style,

Jake is 100% wizard, can’t believe I forgot him!

Holy crap, good shout on Chad Vogt! Just been checking out his Next Generation section and there’s loads

(0.40 with the cheesy camera trick, 1.06, 1.13 and 2.26 in particular)

I bet Jamal Smith loves him, he seems to do a lot of similar quick coping-trickery, late powerslide/sex-change stuff. Stuff that makes you go “what the fuck was that?!” but still looks good. Even on street ledges, like at 2.33 here:

Been watching a load of Andy Anderson clips recently, the guys defo a wizard.
I’m a big fan ‘just because you can doesnt mean you should’ tricks.
Obviously in a video part the stinkiest stuff maybe wants to be left out but the trick possibilities in skateboarding seem endless and I love playing round and seeing whats possible so watching someone like Andy who has an unreal natural talent cruise around have make stuff up/have fun is so rad to watch.

1 Like

Yeah like wearing a helmet just to stand out rather than for safety.

1 Like

I think it’s got more to do with Aspergers and how his brain justifies it to tell others. I bet that question has been asked far too many times, he doesn’t even get close to telling the real reason anymore.

I have more issue with that Gregory Porter dude, seems a nice dude but you must be sweating buckets in that hat! It’s not covering up anything you don’t want people to see? oh it’s just your thing, your flare? er ok.

If you wanna wear a helmet fair dos I reckon.
Luckily ive never been knocked out from a head smack, just stitches/chipped teeth which is bad enough so protecting your bonce from a potential life changing smack seems reasonable.

1 Like

choosing a helmet, choosing trousers, choosing one terrain over another - meh, is it really still a thing?

Sort of a talking point seeing as only one skater in the public eye chooses to do it, on all terrain that is.

You’re forgetting Mike V!

I try

And The Gonz.

Andy WAS doing a lot of braille stuff but now his career is actually taken off he seems to be more on competitions and travelling.

if you haven’t seen the Brett Novak vid he did a few years back it’s worth your time

I may be really uncool but when non-skaters say skaters should wear helmets I agree with them. Only takes one awkward fall to end yourself. But it does look silly unless you’re skating vert or a big bowl though.

Toby Shuall’s ender (nollie fs heel at 1min) has such a crisp flip, then stretches time in how it floats. Could be the angle of filming that gives that impression.
Then fucking hell Ben Jobe! Basically every clip here, but that first backside flip out of a cannon (1.06) then disappearing into darkness and all you can hear is him sliding about. Immediately followed by a line where all you can see is a speeding pair of emerald trousers…

I remember first watching this and being so stunned and intrigued. Was he some kind of spirit who lived at South Bank and only emerged at night??
Another example of where the song and edit definitely enhance how otherworldly the tricks and style already are.

1 Like

Ha, I love that line in those green trousers. I have no idea why but I always called them Christmas pants.

Wooten is a transition wizard! His leg work is phenomenal

yeah, he wears a helmet (sry, that’s all I’ve got)

When your Wizard skills are having an off day…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCcsbxvlxbA/?igshid=1xfe2nkednqj

That was rad