skateboard writing

Boil The Ocean blog with a SOTY prompted article on making an effort

couldn’t see a thread for skate articles, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

6 Likes

I’m hoping you, Farran, Builda and Anon get involved with this thread

post a writ!

2 Likes

Will read this later Max.
Btw I finished your novel the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Big up you for having the wherewithal to get it out there.

Ive got Jono Coote’s to read next - just started and that seems good too.

3 Likes

In the spirit of this thread, here’s the online version of an article I wrote for Free a while back. Deadline was harsh and I wrote it really quickly whilst doing my teacher training so it’s far from brilliant but people seemed to like it.
The Rave video is great too, so it’s an opportunity to catch that as well.

[/cmoac]

2 Likes

EDIT - in response to @andy_smoke ‘s Boil the Ocean post.

That was interesting and well-written, if a little deliberately verbose.
He’s funny on Slap too.

The conflicted attitude towards ‘trying’ in skateboarding (at a pro level) used to be way more pronounced I think. It’s deffo tied into the romanticised idea of the ‘artist driven by natural talent’ vs ‘the practised athlete’.
The former makes for a much more interesting narrative about skateboarding despite being as contrived as the latter.

1 Like

Come on, if you’re not checking an online thesaurus for every second word to find something longer, clumsier and more confusing, are you even doing it right?

5 Likes

4 Likes

I really enjoy BtO’s stuff. I love a bit of verbosity, I think if it was typeset better it would be easier to read (I tend to read on my laptop). Who is he on SLAP?

3 Likes

That’s a massive, massive hurdle for sure.

1 Like

Watson

1 Like

Nah, Watson did You Will Soon. Which was brilliant. Canadian dude.

3 Likes

That’s the blog that got me back up to speed with skateboarding after a few years in the wilderness. I don’t thing Boil the Ocean is on SLAP. There’s no one that articulate!

1 Like

Ah yeah - got mixed up there.
I think I thought BtO was something to do with Feedback Ted (might’ve invented that though) if so, he definitely posts on Slap.

1 Like

BtO is an old slap poster that hasn’t posted for ages. For some reason he’s quite hush hush about identity spoiling.

3 Likes

I used to have that blog saved in my bookmarks and would check it every day. Always hilarious and interesting.

1 Like

I think YWS and Skim the Fat were the best, from the golden age of skateboard bloggery.

3 Likes

pretty sure I nagged @Scienceversuslife to scan this for me

4 Likes

Timeless that one :pray:t2:

1 Like

Damn didn’t know BtO was still going, I used to read that and YWS regularly, must’ve been over 10 years ago.

Who was the guy that wrote articles about random nonsense in Sidewalk for a while? I remember one where he laid out a plot to steal the top half of the Eiffel Tower.

2 Likes

Dave Bevan?
He used to do a bunch of crazy story led zines. From Nottingham, went as ‘beast man goat’ as I remember.
Good dude

Shoots photos for Dogpiss mag now.

1 Like