skateboard writing

I landed about 8 switch tres in 1 session around 20 years ago. Haven’t landed one since.

1 Like

Various articles & features from the year linked here:

1 Like

I wasn’t sure where to put this but I suppose this is the most pertinent thread.

Free were kind enough to ask me to do another ‘Top Ten Free videos of the year’ piece which just went live on their site.
People seemed to like last year’s so please forgive the [/cmoac] aspect of posting my own shit.

Free Skate Magazine » 🔴 Top Ten Of 2022

10 Likes

i missed this, nice one.

(the mention of

may trigger me though, haha)

1 Like

Dropping this one here as it feels like the most appropriate thread. My friend Andrew Murrell (who also does the @overthinkingskatevideos account), wrote this breakdown of skateboarding’s shake up circa 2013 for the latest Jenkem book they just repackaged it in video form.

1 Like

Interesting piece. I think it’s always going to be too arbitrary a call to declare one year as being pivotal or a turning point when talking about broader cultural change, but the video might set up a good discussion.

I do think the writer is onto something when highlighting how important it was when Instagram introduced video. That has had a massive impact in how we all consume skateboarding. That definitely feels like a turning point.

However, some of his other examples seem more tenuous. Isle’s impact is overstated in the piece. Polar and Palace had been getting people more interested in Euro and UK skating for a few years before that. Leo Baker’s part might have been the first solo part by a woman-presenting skater, I’m not sure, but it doesn’t feel especially memorable. I feel like women’s skating hadn’t quite kicked off properly by 2013, that was still to come. Finally, the inclusion of Cherry’s Supreme in the year 2013 is a big stretch. That video does feel like a big cultural moment, but it premiered in 2014 (as the writer acknowledged).

I’d give this piece a 2:1. Some originality of thought here, but too many holes in the argument.

1 Like

Got me thinking what the most pivotal year of previous decades was. Girl Yeah Right and the DC vid were both 2003 right?

Going further back video days was 93? Could be way off with that. Or is mouse in 96 more influential on the next ten years. Or the zero/toy vids of that year (or were they 97)?

1 Like

Pro’s leaving their retrospective sponsors is not a 2013 thing. Danny Way leaving H-Street, everyone leaving World, Marc Johnson had already left Enjoi before Jerry, ect… the full length starting to die out is maybe the one thing they got right.

4 Likes

Tony Hawk landed the 900 in the year 1999 and the world was never the same again.

4 Likes

The article that I wrote for Free about skateboarding’s contemporary intersection with various forms of education just went up on the Free site if anyone’s interested.

10 Likes

Wrote a little piece about last weekend’s Mon’s Reunion Jam for Skateboarder’s Companion.
Shot a couple of photos too along with OG Ian Roxburgh who took way more better ones.
Have a look/read if you fancy.

12 Likes

That was sick

1 Like

Cheers Ned.
Thanks for performing innit

1 Like

Anytime man, honestly that was the best day I have had in so fucking long.

1 Like

Thing is, as you get older you tend to drift away from ‘childish things’ but it turns out that the things that made you happy at 15 still work at 40.

6 Likes

34 but yer haha.

1 Like

Spring chicken!

1 Like

fun piece on skate vid influenca

1 Like

The tiny wheels in this video caused more injuries to children than polio.

:smiley:

1 Like

Various skate-related writing from across the year: