Skateboarding Generations

If you do not like rambling, half-formed posts, you do not have to read on!

I was listening to this recent podcast featuring Peter Sidlauskas (of Bronze fame), which I thought was pretty entertaining, and it struck me that although Peter (mid-30s) and the interviewer (27) were not that different in age, they had some differences in how they saw skateboarding. Peter seemed like a big skate and popular culture nerd, talking about stair counting and Slap, whereas the interviewer seemed less keen on skating (weird for a skateboard podcast host!) unless it was in NY and confessed that the clothes had been just as important to him for getting into skating.

This got me thinking, what are the differences you have noticed between the different generations or ‘waves’ of skateboarders? Or, what would a social history of skateboarding look like? Obviously, this will involve very crude generalisations, but that might also make it funny.

I’ll have a go:

The Back to the Future/Police Academy Generation
Started skating in the second half of the 1980s. Watched a lot of Powell videos and skated jump ramps, but came of age when street skating was really coming into its own. Now propping up the skateboard reissue market and doing slappies.

The THPS Generation
Love stairs and handrails, hate pools. Tend to think in terms of ‘tricks’ as a marker of a good session/progress. Have lots of hangups about what counts as ‘legit’. Can still switch heel but coming to terms with diminishing returns.

The Streetwear Generation
Got into skating at a slightly older age than previous generations, and as a result know less flip tricks. Love doing bean plants and other wretched manoeuvres on street for some reason. Prone to safety hands. Clothes, which they once called ‘garms’, are very important to them.

The Olympic Generation
Loves skating parks and is pretty good at it, but is institutionalised. Might never leave the park and consumes skateboarding almost solely via social media. Can do those floaty, alley-oop back 3s like Oski.

This has turned into one of those terrible Jenkem articles. Apologies. Also there are big gaps and I have totally neglected women’s skating (does that have a different set of generations?).

3 Likes

This is me haha

4 Likes

I dunno, you have a point but all 4 of those guys have existed in all era’s. There were guys that got into it through Stussy & surf wear in the 80’s and contest dudes and so on but yeah maybe it’s more defined now

1 Like

Clothes have always been just as important at all times I reckon

1 Like

I remember being 12 and seeing people skateboarding at 20+ and thinking ‘give it up mate, you’re way too old to be skating’ and now obviously the script has completely flipped.

Now the under 40s are the groms

7 Likes

FTFY youngster

4 Likes

DO A TRE FLIP GRANDAD

5 Likes

I think whats interesting is that all of the markers you’ve suggested exist within mainstream culture first and inside skateboarding culture second. Not sure if I’ve worded that correctly, but it’s like at some point every decade there is something that pushes skateboarding into the mainstream and that’s what captures a lot of who will make up that next generation (obvs theres lots of people who find skateboarding organically).

2 Likes

This must be a regional thing because it’s nothing like that here. Or any of the places I go.

The Marseille bowl comp seemed like a big deal back then too.

Did you contradict yourself in the space of one paragraph?

2 Likes

You did. It was all going on at all times. I myself was skating pools in Oakland and Embarcadero in 1992. It’s always going on if you’re inclined.

1 Like

Here’s John on 40 mil wheels debunking your theory. Sick day first time I ever skated a pool

5 Likes

It might be. I haven’t seen it too much since I moved to Glasgow. Although a lot of youngsters can slappy up here. I really meant younger skaters who grew up on Welcome skateboards but with jazzy trousers. Someone like Jake Church, but I quite like his skating.

1 Like

But you didn’t just say pool skating.

“…or just about any transition…”

Then you go on to identify how big transition skating was in the early '90s, and say that people were ripping at it.

It’s not that you’ve got some crazy new take on things, it’s that this doesn’t make any sense.

Don’t apologise - this is a forum. Both you and everyone else can post whatever they want.

4 Likes

This is where you’re wrong. You’re the only one theorising here like you’re some kind of bedroom historian. You said people weren’t skating pools in 92, I just showed you the opposite. John was getting full page ads in Thrasher at this point. Guy Mariano skated pools at this time whilst being the most progressive street skater on the planet, I take it easy on you on here, cos I don’t want to hurt your feelings but you are plain wrong here professor bollocks and I’ve got nothing better to do than tell you about it

1 Like

For me, this is the most interesting aspect of this conversation. It also goes back much further than Back to the Future as the previous generation had things like Hot Wheels & Big Deals (which ran as the warm up film to Grease) as their mainstream intro to skating - see also Skateboard Kings etc etc. The generation before that had their own versions too.

It makes me wonder what the impetus for new generations to pick up skating will be now seeing as it’s now absolutely mainstream culture.

For example.

2 Likes

Chatted to a former professional skateboarder (who’s still in the industry) yesterday and he was saying that he has absolutely no idea why anybody would want to start skateboarding now.

3 Likes

I’m not reading all that. Just pointing out that you said, in the same paragraph, that there was a generation who didn’t skate transition (which is a sweeping - and entirely wrong - statement anyway), then you went on to say the transition scene at the time was thriving. It’s hardly fucking semantics.

1 Like