Stoked!

Careful with that fowl talk mate, they might start a coop

2 Likes

Should find out today hopefully. They belonged to the house a few doors down who moved and couldnt take them with them, the new owners thought they wanted to keep them but dont fancy it now so we’ve said we’ll take em.

Five eggs a day is a healthy thing right?

Not sure you’ll get 5 eggs every day, depends on how old they are.
Show me some pictures when you have them!

1 Like

Slightly on-topic-ish. My sons new school has Chickens (and trained dogs). They’ve been amazing for him, helping him calm down and helping with his anxiety/issues and he absolutely loves them.

I’m tempted but we regularly get Foxes in the garden and in the vicinity. Saw a huge one the other night.

As long as you can fence off the coop and be really good shutting them in before it gets dark you should be good. We often got ex battery hens back when I was on the farm. They look a bit scraggy when you first get them but once they settle in, the soon start to look like proper chickens again.

2 Likes

What he said.

1 Like

+1

We’ve got 5 chickens & 2 ducks and although there are foxes about we’ve, luckily, only had one small incident where we lost a ‘runner’ duck (that was actually too clumsy to even walk in a straight line).

I’m not superstitious but hope I haven’t jinxed anything by typing this. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Cool, I’ve got space for them…

Wasnt too long ago that my wife caught a fox stalking one of our cats in the garden!

2 Likes

Saw a fox kind of stalking a woman’s small dog while it was on a lead, she grabbed her dog but the fox kept coming, me and another guy kind of shoo’d it away but she seemed a bit freaked out. Maybe it was just curious but it was pretty fearless

Think we’ve got foxes under the decking. The pears are falling off the trees and when I’m picking them up now and again they’ve mostly all got massive claw marks on them. Not sure how to get rid of them, without bricking it up and contending with rotting fox corpses instead. Might need to just hope they fuck off but I feel like they’ve been there for a while. Don’t really want those things around when there’s a toddler in the family.

Urban foxes give zero fucks. They’ll come into houses just to see what there is. They’ll happily attack dogs or cats in Broad daylight

Rural foxes aren’t so gully. Rarely ever see them

1 Like

Think you can get big cat pheromone that scares them off

I guess they only need to fuck off for a while so I can seal the hole up. Good idea.

1 Like

Get a pet bear.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember that time a few years ago a fox went upstairs in someone’s house in London and mauled a baby? I met the dad of that baby, he was the upstairs neighbour of a workmate, who was the first person to arrive on the scene and see the baby. Said the baby’s eye socket was full of blood and it looked super gnarly

Me. Never really cared about these foxes until I had a mobile child in the house.

1 Like

Lil guy (guy?) mobile now then? :fist:

1 Like

The first two chickens we ever had ended killed by a fox (or a weasel?) as I didn’t lock one of the coop doors well one night. Lesson learnt, I check all doors multiple times every evening, especially as I’ve seen foxes around the house many times.

A lot of people ask if our chickens ever get preyed by kites or other birds of prey, as there are loads of these in our area too. Never ever happened. I think those guys know a chicken is too heavy for them.

I encourage you to let your chickens roam around as much as possible, they’ll be happier and healthier. Build them a nice park, near a tree ideally so they can chill in the shade and find worms and stuff like that.

Dalida, my gorgeous Sussex:

She’s amazing, always goes to bed after all the others and I like to think it’s because she’s British and set to GMT (whereas it’s GMT+1 here). #anglophile

8 Likes

She is. She’s a walkin’ talkin’ human person now. Definitely not missing the cry/eat/shit phase now.

3 Likes

Congrats :muscle: