Supporting SOSs during the Corona pandemic

I think if you buy directly from the SOS they get more right? Parade take a commission? Sorry might be wrong

1 Like

Re: the above about Flatspot.

It’s a shame that they don’t/can’t make more of a point of sharing their history.

Essentially, they were a physical shop in Plymouth from 1995-1998, and then they opened and ran one of the best skateboard focused indoor parks from 1998-2001.

After that closed, they became a physical shop in Plymouth again for a number of years. They made a foolish move of trying to open a more streetwear/art focused shop in Exeter, a few doors up the road from the Boarding House, which was shortlived.

Andy bought out Nick*, the shop in Plymouth closed, after moving location once or twice. They went online and began to be based out of Totnes and become a lot less skateboard focused over the years.

* Nick went on to open the short lived Domain skatepark in Saltash and now runs Prime (which was/is a physical shop and a separate skatepark) in Plymouth.

4 Likes

Yer I’ve just been buying a lot of stuff from there recently wanted to pop in if they had one.

1 Like

Isn’t Always In Colour their non-skate store?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think so, that’s relatively recent though.

Que?

What’s DSM?

Dover street market.

Yeah with all the non skate shops being added it’s a change from what they originally started out to achieve.

Having said that, if it’s handled right it could be a benefit to the skate shops that remain on there.

Parade take a big slice of the profit but they can put a lot of eyes on your product so it’s up to each shop to weigh up the pros and cons.

I like the fact that Parade allows little local shops to play on a big stage. I think they need to spend a little time working on their core values though so everybody is clear what they’re signing up to.

1 Like