The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

Ah ok got you. I just thought suppliers selling complete systems won’t get shagged by re-sellers trying to sell the parts independently.

I quite like the idea of a gaming laptop with separate monitor. I travel a lot for work and fancy being able to play games when away.

Seems like there are a few laptops e.g. on here:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/gaming/laptops/all

They look pretty fucking spendy though and I don’t know much about gaming laptops.

It’s hit or miss as to what companies have the top components you need. To get mine - which to be honest I wanted the latest and greatest processor, GPU, motherboard and a non-descript black case - I was looking at 5 or 6 builders and only one had the processor and GPU I wanted. Not the best motherboard I wanted and just an OK case (orange trim and horrific RGB lighting all over the shop) and then a few days after purchase they told me they no longer had the processor I wanted, so I had to get one a level down. Normally I would have got all that via Scan, who’ve built my machines in the past for me, but they’re no longer selling to the EU because of Brexit. Basically right now, you pretty much have to take what you can get.

I dont understand why anybody wants a computer to light up like the Blackpool illuminations.

2 Likes

I tried this for a bit, it was pretty good. Pricey though.

Just a trend that went too far in my eyes, customizing PC’s has always been a thing but RGB everything is going too far. Can look alright if it’s done well but in a lot of cases it’s never really done well and looks like a bag of skittles exploded. I don’t mind RGB peripherals and having a backlit keyboard but my rig itself is plain as fuck.

Kinda funny though if you’re building/selling PC’s throwing in a £20 pack of RGB fans will up the value/attraction of it.

Nuf said.

1 Like

In all fairness that’s a considerable outlier and 99.9% of the PC building market wouldn’t go anywhere near that.

1 Like

It’s harder to even find a case without glowing fans and a glass side these days but mine just sits there under the desk anyway so not too fussed. Actually not as bright as it looks in this picture.

1 Like

Needs a clean now that I look at it, though.

What are these things for? Are they just for playing games on?

I use mine for all sorts but the reason I spent more on it was mostly so that it’ll play games but also edit videos and things like that.

Can always opt for Phanteks, lot of their cases have solid/windowed options.

2 Likes

can you play flight sim on this? Have 2 work monitors at home so it’s the perfect time for this shit.

Yeah pretty much anything. Haven’t tried dual monitors but it supports external devices and ultra wide monitors so I don’t see why not!

When I had it it took a little while to be set up, I don’t think it’s “cloud” as we know it, more hardware provisioned per order in a data centre somewhere. But maybe they’ve got smarter since. Performance is great.

Dude frying bacon on his CPU
8,474 Likes, 148 Comments - electrovation (@electro_vation) on Instagram: "🤣🤣🔥
Follow ➡️ @electro_vation & #electro_vation 😘😘

🔘 Like❣️ comments📋  Share📤

🔘 Keep Supporting 🤝

🔘 For Learn Something New
Subscribe us on youtube link in profile...

2 Likes

There’s a growing trend amongst PC testers on YT to completely ditch their CPU cooler for a tube they fill with liquid nitrogen for benchmarking and overclocking tests. The ridiculously low temperatures around -170C or whatever means some CPUs get overclocked to 8Ghz or so. Not quite practical for day to day work, but cool to see.

2 Likes

@ciaran LN2 OC’ing has been a thing for years if not a good decade or two, usually in world record overclock competitions and the like. Highest OC currently is about 8.7GHz on an FX chip, if you’re into that stuff I’d look up Der8auer and Kingpin to see what goes into that stuff instead of the large amount of clickbaity “LN2 SO COOOOL” videos.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise there was overclock championships! I guess it’s like barista contests then.
I stumbled across the LN2 thing while researching AMD vs Intel CPUs and thought it was pretty mad. I mean, it’s rad to see folks modding their gear and what not, but I need my gear to just work while getting the best bang for the buck. OCing always seemed fraught with danger of burning out your CPU or GPU, and every time I sit down to “do something real quick” it always turns into a waste of 4 hours.

Saying that, I always like how dry and narky yer man there from Gamers Nexus is when he reviews gear. Proper nerd points.

1 Like

Yeah it’s all kinda calmed down championship wise a little bit in recent years, shrinking of chip dies etc = less ocing headroom plus chips nowadays are so damn good it makes oc’ing almost redundant. OC’ing has progressed so much in the last 10 years and it’s a relatively safe process, the issue almost always lies with the end user not doing enough research and you’d have to seriously be trying to fuck something up to actually burn out a CPU or GPU. You can dial in an overclock in a relatively short timeframe by looking up average overclocks for your respective CPU/GPU along with the common safe area for voltages, plugging the numbers in then bumping up the clocks whilst keeping within the safe voltages. Run a stress test after each number bump until it’s unstable, then dial the numbers back and you’re sorted.

Funnily, most people on modern DDR4 platforms have to OC to get the most out of their RAM and may not realize it counts as overclocking; JEDEC spec for DDR4 caps out at 2400MHz, yet DDR4 kits can go way up to 5000MHz though on average you’re looking at about 3.2-3.6k MHz for DDR4. The manufacturer then rates the sticks for a certain speed, and loads profiles for speeds above the stock DDR4 speed. That’s where XMP (DOCP for AMD I think) comes in, where you have to load the memory profile from the BIOS. Enabled XMP? Cool, now your RAM is running at it’s rated speed and you also just voided your warranty because it’s considered overclocking! What’s even worse is the amount of people who have no clue XMP is even a thing, buy 3600MHz kits and have them running at 2400 or even 2133 like a PC I fixed last year…

Someone in the same vein as GN would be Louis Rossmann, guy owns an unauthorized Apple Repair Store whilst simultaneously despising Apple and their business practices.

2 Likes