The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

What a ballache. What kind of specs are we looking at for this new machine?

Yep! It’s a lot of 2nd and 3rd pick components TBH, but mainly AMD 5900x processor, ASUS ROG Strix F mobo, RTX 3090, a couple of M.2 drives and a paltry 32 Gb RAM which they wouldn’t let me upgrade, so that’s being replaced in the next week with 128Gb. All in a BeQuiet 900 something case.

And 15Tb of pr0n.

Nice one, will investigate, carefully.

4 Likes

I can fully recommend Ninjabatt on Amazon

2 Likes

Cheers, was having a look at them the other day, toss up between that one and one on replacebase, bout same price but replace base ones claims slightly higher capacity

Oof. Beast.

2 Likes

You did well to even get an RTX 3090 without paying scalper money. GPUs are nuts at the moment. The other day I sold an old RX 570 I bought used for £80 two years ago. It went for the £300 buy it now price ten minutes after it went on ebay.

2 Likes

Yeah wtf he’s not mesing about there. Must be rendering his own 4k pr0n

1 Like

Yep got lucky with the 3090 alright. Seems that a few computer stores do have them, but hold onto them for complete builds. Wanted a 5950x processor and a beefier mobo, but those fellas didn’t have them in stock - the processors in particular are just not available right now. Some places would have weaker processors or older models or whatever, so I suppose I can upgrade at some point in the future.

Actually, I picked up some Titan X’s on ebay a few years back and they’d sell for more now than what i paid for them. Madness.

People buying the GPUs for crypto mining

1 Like

Yeah, definitely that combined with supply issues and ebay scalpers has made the perfect storm.

2 Likes

Responsible for a £35k spend on Google ads this month. Log in this morning to check my campaigns and I get an error saying ‘you don’t have any accounts. Would you like to make one?’

I nearly actually fucking died.

Turns out Google ads is down.

I have a lot of government accounts and they legally can’t advertise after midnight tonight so I’m sweating embryos now.

1 Like

Both my works network and my wife’s had issues yesterday. Has something big happened?

Her Google accounts went down yest?

They had a big outing not so long ago as well I recall but not Google ads. Everyone is freaking out on twitter so glad I’m not alone!

I wouldn’t sweat it too much but I have this hard legal deadline tonight.

It’s depressing how fucked the gpu market is, in September I bought a GTX 680 for a second build off a guy on Reddit for £20 posted, same exact card now has sold listings on eBay for £100+. Prior to COVID/scalping even stuff like 8GB Polaris cards were slowly encroaching on the £100 point, now they’re way up in the 3/400 range which is mad given they had an MSRP of what £200 give or take?

Can still find used cards for cheap but it’s hit or miss, best option if you’re going that route is the hardwareswapuk subreddit where people tend to stick to reasonable pricing.

1 Like

Have never built a PC but need one for my new house. Was considering buying a gaming PC. Anything I should know? How much should I look to spend for one that will handle anything?

1 Like

It depends on loads of things really. Some games will gladly take all that you can throw at them, especially if you want to play in 4K. But on the other hand you can (or at least you could before GPUs went silly) build a PC that’ll play most anything decently well in 1080 for £500 or so.

I’d wait it out to be honest mate, GPU prices are bollocked atm.

I won’t build it, surely I can buy a complete one with good GPU?

Of course, but suppliers are facing the same issues.