The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

I think the rumours are that the next gen of Macbook Pros will have an updated version of the apple M1 chip (likely an M1x or something similar). Smaller bezels, so the 13 MBP will now have a 14 inch screen, and they will support high specs of RAM (currently the apple silicon models max out at 16GB). I’ll be interested to see what they do about the GPU, as the integrated one isn’t going to cut it for heavy workloads.
I finally bit the bullet and bought an M1 Macbook Air, as my ancient Macbook was dying slowly. I’m not a power user by any means, but it feels so fast.
The main limitation is waiting for 3rd party developers to update their apps to run natively. So far everything has run flawlessly with Rosetta, but I can’t help think how much quicker it would be if it could run natively.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping for. We’ve got a project going live on Tuesday and I spent yesterday trying to rebuild 3 weeks worth of working files from PDF artwork.

I just wish I knew what had happened so I can avoid it happening again. It’s like the unzip utility or the delete process mistook the whole drive for the single file I wanted deleted

Yeah, I think my Macbook Pro is fine for light work and day to day browsing, etc.

I just wouldn’t mind one machine dedicated to work right now and want to avoid another laptop. the Mac Mini seems perfect…

With a Mac mini, you have to then buy the monitor, keyboard and mouse, ect, on top. So if you don’t have them already it adds up. A keyboard is an extra £100 alone. Used to have one.

get loads of these but enjoyed the incompetency of this one…

1 Like

Yeah don’t touch the drive or plug it in or whatever. If you Google data recovery there are plenty of places that should be able to recover it, it just depends how much the data is worth to you. Just do a simple calc when they quote you to see whether your boss will stomach the cost Vs time spent

Have used data recovery places a few times, as long as they don’t have to take the disk apart it’s usually quite reasonable as they will have software that can recover it

But yeah don’t turn the disk on or use it or anything if you want it recovered. The sectors and data will still be there, it’s just the signposts to it all have been wiped

2 Likes

I got a mouse, keyboard and second monitor.
Will have to buy another monitor as I work with 2 screens, but thats factored in.

Cheers!

1 Like

Anyone on here worked with Amazon Vender Central?

God I’m sorry everybody but can some please explain to my caveman mind how I embed a YouTube video so it’s responsive (fits the screen correctly on both phone and pc).
There are lots of YouTube videos that make it seem very simple. I’m copy and pasting, it’s not doing it.

Where are you pasting it?

I’m just editing this message and deleting my responses because my issue was really straight forward and was laughably easy to resolve once I had a good nights sleep.

Thank you @BvS and @Les_Zeppelin for showing an interest in helping

And what’s happening? Video looks OK on desktop but it’s not fluid when you resize?

If you’re using standard html tags when you paste the video from YouTube into wherever you’re adding it (should just be the body of the text edit area?) you should be able to change the width to 100% (and then remove the height tag). Shouldnt need to use css. It looks like the embedded video has a fixed width that’s larger than the frame on mobile?

So it could be something like <video widthequals100%> ’url here’ <\video>

I’m not a coder tho so please someone with more knowledge chime in.

Edit. I’ve typed equals so the forum doesn’t think it’s actual html, so use an = sign instead of the word

Longshot I know but does anyone have a paid sparktoro account? (or know a way of generating a list of urls similar to a particular website).

Similarweb.com

Tried that and it’s gash.

This is pretty cool

Just found out one of my accounts got pwned… Got an email with one of my password as the subject line, with some threats to pay them in bitcoin or else.

It’s all bullshit, apparently it’s a common scam. But I recommend everyone check their accounts on haveibeenpwned. I’m changing all my passwords to unique random strings just to be safe.

Seems like there’s been some major breaches recently.

ha that’s nuts! proper tor stuff.

1 Like

Did it say you’ve been watching pron and they caught you on webcam? lol

1 Like