The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

Yep hahhaha

Something like send me 4k to this BTC address or I’ll send it to all your Facebook and Messenger contacts. Jokes on them, I don’t use either!

Maybe just in case it’s real I should just send a dick pick to everyone I know. Just to get ahead of it

3 Likes

I know it’s highly unlikely, but I have bluetac over my computer camera for this very reason

also had that email a few times but i’ve had a little patch of duct tape over mine for years so jokes on them

Anyone any good at custom CSS?

Just have one job to do and everytime I try and put the code in it just fucks up.

This is what I’m doing. I don;t have the exact theme.scss fil, but have a theme.css which should be the same …

custom CSS yes, Shopify no. I skipped through that video a bit but it looks like he’s uploading custom assets and then linking them in through the css.

Have you got your font in the required format, uploaded it?
Or is it at a URL, does Shopify allow calling it cross domain?

His @font-face declaration seems plausible

Did it change the H1 ?
When does it break?

1 Like

@nut thats exactly what he’s doing, it doesn’t do anything and I follow the instructions, I upload the font in required format in the assets.

Cross domain?

Doesn’t change H1

As you’ve uploaded the font, cross-domain isn’t applicable here.

I’ve looked at a Shopify site - I’m guessing a bit - but it looks to me that the scss is more significant than we would have hoped. It could be an ordering issue where your edits are processed before the ‘main’ styles. Means any/all of your changes are overwritten at render time.

At this point I would want to know that the font itself was being linked properly and is actually available to the css. Presumably you have the font declaration like this:

@font-face {
  font-family: "the font name";
  font-weight: 400;
  font-style: normal;
  font-display: swap;
  src: (the font file) format("woff2"),
  src: (the font file) format("woff");
}

So we should be able to define a style that uses the custom font:

.ned_font {
	font-family: "the font name";
    color: red;
}

(Temporarily setting the color to red would indicate successful application of the style;)

then choose any element in the html and force the new style onto it by adding our class name (eg h1):

<h1 class="mega-title ned_font">ned content</h1>

which should override the default.

@nut yer that’s what Iv got let me try again and I’ll screenshot the code and post it in here.

@nut

This is what I ended up with, but its not working – editing the theme.css file in assets.

It’s doing my fucking nut in. Changed line 13516 back to just format woff.

I’m having one more try again another way then I might cry.

are there more assets, is it file naming? edit: @neddy

I see libelsuit-webfont.woff at left but libel_suitregular.woff at right.

Will try that now

Has anyone paid to promote posts on Instagram? I know it already artificially suppresses your reach to make you more likely to pay. I’m worried that if I do it as a one off it will hurt our organic reach in the future as they’ll have us hooked. Any truth to that in anyone’s experience?

@nut

Ok so this has worked on the h tags in the screen shot.

But I need to do stuff like this. I know it is a p class, but I don’t want everything p class in that font.

How do i add that?

custom classes I guess.

Can you edit the code for the elements you want to target?
If so, create a new class like above (.ned_font) and add it to the

class="existing classes ned_font"

for the elements you want to change.

If not, can you identify their class names (right click > inspect element)
then add an override to the existing:

.promo-block__heading {
color: red;
}

edit: default class name has two underscores @neddy

1 Like

Oh. This is my actual job.

Yeah organic reach is completely fucked really. To reach people you pretty much have to pay to play.

Try and go through ads manager if you can rather than just hitting the boost post button so you can A/B/C test audiences and/or objectives.

I know it sounds obvious but the objective you select really does what it says on the tin.

Top of the funnel objectives are:

reach/brand awareness - these will spray your ads out to every Michael Fabricant. Engagement will be low and cost per click will be high but your cost per 1000 will be super low (like £1.xx ish to reach a 1000 users)

Traffic - this will find people most likely to click on your ad. This traffic I find is quite, quite shit. For example I’m running a campaign now that has over 5k landing page views but a literal handful of conversions. I use it to create retargeting audiences plus a lot of my clients just want traffic and nothing else anyway.

If you have the pixel installed on your site optimise for landing page views on the ad set level.

Engagement ads - possibly what you’re after? Creating a post to gather social proof? Careful using a video ad if you select this as it counts 2 second video views as ‘engagement’ (iirc).

It’s not obvious this but during the ad creation process at the ad level you can select an existing post rather than creating an ad. This is how you would boost an existing post. An ad you create would be fresh (no likes comments etc)

If you run insta ads make sure you have the fb pixel installed on your site first.

One thing to know is the new ios14.5 changes have been huge. You can’t really trust the reporting in ads manager much anymore because a lot of it is estimated and its harder to create retargeting audiences because they are all so much smaller.

Because if this make sure you set up UTM parameters on the ad to track stuff through analytics. This isn’t as scary as it sounds. There’s a little form you can fill in on the ad creation screen.

But no…running ads shouldn’t have any impact on your existing organic reach. If you run ads you will probably gather a few new page followers so it can bump your organic reach a tiny bit after.

I think the last post I boosted for client had like 99.5% of its reach through paid and 0.5% through the organic reach it would’ve had normally.

If you even think you might run facebook/insta ads in the future, install a pixel on it today. It tracks all traffic on your site so the sooner you have it the more data you can use to create audiences in the future.

5 Likes

Here’s an example:

It’s pretty obvious which ones got boosted! They weren’t that much either. Both were 70 quid I think…

You can see one I just hit the boost button because I had to do it in 10 minutes but the other one I went through ads manger so I could do it properly.

You can see how shocking the organic reach is normally.

@Les_Zeppelin we are about to start some Facebook ad’s today to drive sales for 3 specific products. Any recommendations?

Literally needs to drive purchase on low value items, £15-45.

It’s quite a bad look though. I mean, it’s obvious the likes have been paid for. When you see some companies (or former UK skateboarders) with shitloads of followers and absolutely no engagement it’s obvious they’ve just paid for follows.

I guess if it’s an important post, an announcement or something, it makes sense.

2 Likes

Hmm very tough that. I think you need to use retargeting audiences only.

You can create an audience for people who have visited those product page urls only.

Trouble is traffic is going to be brutally small so you either need to find a way of driving traffic to those urls through other means or using a top of funnel traffic campaign to build an audience.

Try setting your conversion budgets super low to start with (like £5 - £10 a day).

You need to give fb data (called events - ‘see content’ , ‘add to cart’ , ‘add payment info’ and ‘purchase’ ) before you running conversion ads.

You might need to take a short term hit to build your audiences up first with a long term strategy of selling higher ticket price stuff down the line?

I think you also might need to create dynamic remarketing which isn’t something I’ve done yet sorry.

Don’t use general interest audiences because I think that would be pissing money away.

If you have existing customers you can upload them as an audience and create a few lookalike audiences. When you create a lookalike you can make a few different percentages at the same time.

Try a 1%, a 2-5% and a 10% which you layer with additional interest targeting.

You can try sending traffic to your product pages with these audiences and see what happens. No one is going to see an ad on fb and just buy something through so you need to sit down and work out how your funnel is going to work.

Also remeber to leave fb do it’s thing for about 7 days because it learns over time.

Also make sure you set up the pixel right and pull in sales value and shit which I think is automatic with shopify (an absolute living nightmare for bespoke ecom).

Good luck. Fb ads are tough.