The Contest Thread

Yeah and he’s even been practicing in preparation of this display of bellendery.

14K Likes, 390 Comments - Jaime Mateu (@jaimemateu) on Instagram: "First day in @tampaspot 🤘🤘
@embassyskateboards @speedlabwheels @hermosaskate 
📽 @alex_hajimihalis 🙏"

1 Like

Who is he and what did he do?

I opened up the feed to see a guy who skates for Magenta not even getting close to even trying anything. Odd.

Nordberg had a run. He seems to have lost his style completely??? Wouldnt have known it was him at all. Has he unfaked the steeze or something?

Jaime Mateu just seems to be getting in everyones way and being a massive kook

so check me out but the back boneless he nearly did was mental

Absolute throbber.

He was more entertaining than Nordberg though :joy:

2 Likes

13K Likes, 244 Comments - Mark Appleyard (@mark_appleyard) on Instagram: "Seen a lot of things , but this is Stand out for sure 🤯 @authenticandyanderson @spottampa and @reneerenee1"

2 Likes

That was sick!

Felt like they ended the best trick before a lot of people had time to land the tricks they were trying.

1 Like

Looking at the qualifiers list, other than a few new names making the cut like Blake Carpenter, it’s pretty much the exact same line up as the past few years. With the notable exception of Shane.

I was sure the line up used to be more varied. Is it because the consistency needed for contest skating has generally increased and therefore so has the skill level, meaning that your average pro who doesn’t often skate contests isn’t making the cut anymore? Just a thought

Yet another year where I’ve got to watch Kelvin Holfer or Matt Berger skate

It is timed. One hour.

I’m not really a fan of contest only crew and the RockStar hat and his style aren’t nice but I kind of root for this guy.

Brazilians have pretty much been the only people really travelling to contests consistently over the past two decades so having an Olympic final last year without a Brazilian would have been kinda sad, really. I’m glad he was there. And I am glad he is here at this ‘legit’ event.

Seems like there is zero attempt from him to be anything other than who he is. That’s good.

1 Like

I watched the last 25 mins of it. It felt like Jamie Foy was really snaky. Maybe he wasn’t but it definitely felt like he had tons more goes than anyone else.

There was a guy trying to 50-50 all the way up the rail, pop out to a nosewheelie to nollie flip out which he pretty much did and it went unremarked on (as far as i could make out).

Because he was trying to hit the rail upwards he could only have 1 go for everyone elses 10 or something. Felt a bit sorry for him!

Announcers were joking about how Foy wins it every year which I think was a kind of oblique acknowledgement of this. It really says something that in 2022 a front krook through two kinks to nollie flip out is a snidey ‘I want the money’ best trick meme.
I was shocked that AA or Felipe Nunes didn’t get any money for their tricks tbh.
I’m pretty sure Foy doesn’t need another grand

1 Like

AA was like an hour after time.

i’m talking about the tricks he did in the allotted time - not the darkslide afterwards @Londonskater

1 Like

It’s not that long. 30 minutes. Compared to last year’s, only a few people got things:

1 Like

Think the finals are on now.

Matt Berger is the 3rd worst skater on Flip after Chalmers and Nordberg.

Streaming here. Semis on now - think I’m gonna wait until the finals start

Finals just started.

Rooting for Axel. Money on Yuto