The Continually Updated Footage Thread

But is it gnarly when you have a skatepark for a run up?

Yes.
Gnarlier in fact.

1 Like

It’s obviously still gnarly ‘skatepark’ or not, just changes how you look at the trick

So, showing a built out run up which you’ve made to be the best you can comes across as gnarlier than showing nothing and leaving the viewer open to the idea that you could well be rolling through dogshit to get to that rail?

I dunno dawg.

There’s a balance between making something look gnarlier and deceiving people watching it into thinking that they didn’t have to do some sort of fixing to the spot

2 Likes

Yeah, honesty is the best policy. Don’t want a Berra scenario.

3 Likes

I get you, but it’s not really even close to (as it was mentioned) some Berra shit where you are trying to pass off a park spot as real.

If you were to film a run up with no wood and then build it out to film a trick, that would be some illegal deceptive shit…but in building it out and not making some massive highlight, you are leaving the magic in place.

I don’t know think it really is a case by case basis but more often than not I think you need to make some sort of allusion to the fact that wood or a sign has been used in the run up.

Don’t want some time lapse montage of the crew building it or some dramatic close up every time but I think with spots where the crustiness is a particular feature of the spot so to speak to hide the fact you fixed it is illegal deceptive shit

If I’m filming a trick and a sign or some wood is needed for the spot, I try and avoid filming said sign/wood as much as possible.

1 Like

Again, case by case basis

But I’d say if you’re putting a sign/ bit of wood up a curb so you can get a better run of then yeah don’t have to show it but if the spot would be straight up unskateable without a sheet of plywood run up then don’t hide it.

Talking more generally here not the Darkstar part

2 Likes

I haven’t counted but I’m pretty sure there are enough tricks without any wood on the run up for it not to ruin the whole thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not talking darkstar part here, either.

He’s still rolling over a load of rickety old shit and over DIY bondo stuff the moment before he pops onto big rails. It’s gnarlier than if the ground is just rough.

6 Likes

yeah agreed, looks like he could hang up at any second rolling up. gnarly as fuck tbh

fair play to joe like cos he’s seriously put the effort in the last few years! kickflip crook that handrail is mk is absolutely mental, run up is so short and rough

2 Likes

Have any of you made a skate video as good as Cover Version?

Didn’t think so.

Kevin is right.

3 Likes

How much hidden, run-up wood and signs were used in the making of Cover Version? What is Magee’s opinion on this? Surely he has zero tolerance for any spot modification? Need answers. This is make or break.

It’s not modification that’s the problem, it’s the way it was highlighted when it didn’t need to be.

There’s better skating in Hinsons part that some of CV. 100%.

3 Likes

I don’t think there was any wood. I’m down to fix up a spot to make it happen.
Magee sucks at DIY so I’d rather he didn’t touch it…

That said, he did end up sanding away Will Miles god awful bondo job at Ladbroke Grove handrail because somehow, they’d made it worse than before by creating this big lump right where you want to pop.

I also did a bunch of work to another spot for a night mission and it took about an hour all in…by the time I was done, everyone was too drunk to skate.
It was Charlies birthday to be fair, though.

6 Likes

It’s B roll from a kid editing a video probably for the first time.

Joe lives in the arse end of nowhere and is pretty much blanked by what remains of the core UK industry. Though I’m sure he’d love a decent filmer and editor he’s having to make do with what he can.

9 Likes