The Continually Updated Footage Thread

Agreed. We can talk filming aesthetics all we want but a lot of this footage is straight up bonkers. He’s making no money from skating/sponsorship, has a proper grafter job and still wants to go do this shit.
It’s a thumbs up from me.

Sidenote: Both Manny and Munro used to get ignored/clowned by the wider UK scene too until their footage was seen by enough people (in a very well produced format) who didn’t bring the ‘uncool’ associations with them to watching their footage.

This is me saying this as a fan of skateboarding in this country - you can’t rinse the Hinse.

14 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty fucking sick how hard he goes in considering he doesn’t get paid. Plenty of others in the UK doing the same thing and it’s really dope that they are.

1 Like

Yeah, before this goes too far - because a LOT of what I am talking about is skateboard videos in general - I want to make it clear that Hinson is clearly a very good skateboarder who gives it his all. I am not making an issue of Joe.

I’ve only met him once and he politely wanted to talk about some supposed beef he had heard between some friends of mine and himself and to come up to someone you’ve never met to discuss it is pretty fucking respectable in my book.

…and when all is said and done, the guys filming and editing are also pushing hard, clearly. It’s just a bit of a let down when in 2020, all the info is available out there to make shit as good as you can. I guess that is my angle.

However, I do disagree with the idea that because someone lives in the arse end of nowhere or doesn’t have the “right” support (He does ride as a full am for quite a big board brand and is also flowed by a pretty good shoe company, so I think he has more support than most…plus in terms of being blanked - Grey posted his part), that they can’t come up with something special.

I guess the two examples which spring to mind in respect of people coming out of leftfield and not having some form of industry behind them are Jim Craven’s amazing work with Land (which led to Island which did get some support from sponsors running at the level of Joes) and then Avi’s “A golden Egg” which was entirely independent, possibly a technical mess but was formed of an idea so strong it ultimately blew away any commentators or nay-sayers.

1 Like

Pretty sure the run up on that rail line in a school yard starts on grass, hence the DIY sheets of wood. You can’t skate it otherwise, what else should he do?

I’ve got no problem with him using wood sheets for run-up and roll-outs, half of the time they looked ramshackle and close to useless.

Fair play to him though, he’s doing some straight up gnarly stuff in that part.

3 Likes

I never said I had a problem with building a run up.

I’m down.

1 Like

After watching this, YouTube suggested this…

These guys have got to be the oddest bunch of humans in skateboarding right? They act like they are 14 years old.

1 Like

Exact same video was suggested for me. It’s odd yh, appealing to a completely different demographic for youtube views and thus dollar.

The Hinson part was great but let down by the presentation and music.

Munro and a Manny started popping when they moved to London?

Didn’t think people were that fussed on Charlie until he moved away from Get Lesta stuff.

Sad really, but fuck doing that shit in Hinson’s part for a free T-shirt and Darkstarr board.

Braille make YouTube videos for kids, apparently they do very well out of it. I think they appeal to a younger but similar audience to Revive, again a company that does very well. Most of it seems to be very silly and I find it jarring but I suppose anything that gets people skating isn’t a bad thing

Not sure if true but the guy on the left, Aaron Kyro, is a scientologist

100% true.

Well spice.

Manny lived in London for years…

Wasn’t sure, hence question mark. Charlie didn’t though.

charlie needs to start dressing like a rudey again tbh

Just about to watch tha Hinson part, not sure what to expect after reading all this. Is it going to be better or worse than I expected.
As for wood on runnup, I see it from many angles. It’s kinda cheaty but it’s also making use of a potential spot that is possibly not skateable which shows a bit of clout. It all depends on the spot, if it’s just a bit rough i’d rather get used to that and work it out as you’re popping off something solid still, laying ply down especially like the pic is a mindfuck, popping off something with give is probably worse or gnarlier than a bit of rough ground. I guess we’d have to pull that ply up to see what’s underneath for us to decide whether it was warranted. If the rail/spot/trick is worth it then why not make it work the best way you can.
I didn’t see that much of a problem with Berra to be honest. I thought it was more playful than deceitful.
Shooting spots at certain angles with certain lenses to make it look bigger or whatever can be seen as just as deceiful if you think about it.
Ok gonna watch it now ha.

Nor me, those flatbars he made were huge as well.

@anon90826813 The Robert Sutton Rail is in there…

ha just seen. Crazy, Motherfuckers coming to my spots without permission! I bumslid that rail, woo!

That was surprisingly gnarly, Amazing to see for a UK skater, taking it way past anyone has gone over here, although if he went to the US he’d no longer be special, he’d end up on a team where every rider can do all those tricks on rails, just a normal dude. Shame but reality.

I agree with everything regarding the edit though, skating aside, the edit did nothing, it was like telling someone to try this amazing burger, but then putting it between slices of stale white bread and smothering it with cheap no brand tomato sauce. OR, showing someone some amazing music, some brand new style with so much bass and stereo surround trickery but playing on your laptop speakers.
Pointless and a waste.
Now that there is no UK industry, no real people to hype up scenes and none of those clear landmark steps to becoming a well known skater in your country it makes me question why the hell is this dude doing all this? For the love I guess and you cannot help but respect that. He could have dripped fed each trick up on insta and had an online “career” out of it. I guess that the kids filming just need to catch up and film with a body of work in mind, not just working clip by clip which is what it’s all about nowadays.

4 Likes

Could argue that if you took him to the US and he got a chance to skate Californian schoolyard rails he’d be able to take it up a notch. Choosing to be a UK handrail skater is for sure a detriment

…but he has “taken it to the US” in terms of it being a Darkstar part (He’s full Am for them) plus, Youtube is a global platform.

I get what you mean about US schoolyards but the one thing you have to remember is that whilst he may be able to take it up a notch, every sponsored skater has hammered all those good schools for decades now. Again, that doesn’t just apply to Hinson - thats everyone.

Yeah, h could step up and take it further, would be cool to see. You’d have to up your game so much in a short space to get a rea notice but yeah, it’s possible.