The D.I.Y Thread

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hanson-40N-Ready-Mixed-Concrete-Maxi-Bag---20kg/p/137250

Chuck em in water for a month to cure after

I’ve built a few in the past but the head scratcher is always around getting the weight right. Marble portable ledge though jesus

Yeah that thing is a bit of a monster. I reckon doing something more curb sized might be cool though, just need to blag some offcuts from a countertop company or something.

Definitely NOT marble. Marble is too soft to hold up to skating and doesn’t grind or slide well. Granite is what you want, which is pretty much what you’ve got at Macba, Universitat and South Bank.

am i confusing marble with polished granite then? i thought marble was the ultra slidey one that’s only downside was that it broke your shit when you fell on it

Yep, they look similar, pretty sure marble costs a lot, which might explain its use on tombstones, etc.

ahhh fair enough

my plan for a mobile ledge revolved around weighted legs - cut up some lengths of plastic piping, say four legs, each one a foot in length and perhaps four inches diameter. fill with concrete so that they’re super heavy

the ledge itself then could be lighter - thick wood with rails on the side

my main issue around this plan then is how to attach the ledge to the concrete fee when you want to use it. i was thinking of having sunken bolts through the ledge that screw into bolt holes in the feet. all gets a bit complicated really

How did this end up @42069666

1 Like

Been going great! We got all this done over the course of last summer and can’t wait to get building again come spring. Frustratingly I haven’t been able to skate it much because of injury so I’m been more fired up to get going again in a couple months. Feelin v happy with our progress and it’s only been a small team of us but we got some dope crews down when COVID distancing allowed us last year and want to do more bits with younger people and get them grafting. Would be sick to see more DIYs popping up around the area

We’re gonna try build a legit oververt cradle amongst other things haha

8 Likes

I got excited this might be a thread about fixing up our houses. Gutted…

I think there are a couple of these.
‘Middle Age Shed’ and another that I can’t remember the title of.

Nearly helpful I s’pose. :man_shrugging:t3:

Sick! Would you have to pay to skate the park as normal, to access this?

Yeah that’s pretty much the deal- they get no money and nearly close down every summer so they’ve basically given us a piece of land in exchange for us helping build something outside. They’re officially a charity now too which is great so trying to get bits of funding to help support the project!

2 Likes

Hey man, this seriously looks amazing. I’m a journo doing a piece on DIY skate culture, would be great to talk to you about what you’ve put together here if you have the time pal?

I’m sure you’ve read this:

2 Likes

Josh who wrote that article is an absolute legend. Always stoked to see him out n shredding.

I’ve got hold of a pair of wooden benches and want to make them skateable by adding an angle iron. Does anyone have tips on the best type of metal to use and way to attach one? Much obliged.

1 Like

this is what you need

Use a 4mm metal drill bit for the holes in the top but also use a metal cutting countersink after. if you can’t get hold of one of those use a 10/12mm metal drill bit to countersink the holes

Then screw down with some 4x40mm screws

That will sort you out well.

4 Likes

I learned that “bigger drill bit” trick last week, can’t believe I ever bothered with actual countersinks, waste of money!

Ha, yeah but they give a better hole for the screw . The drill bit works but the counter sink it gives is always too big for the screw because you have to go deeper into the metal.
But that’s just aesthetics , especially for a rail that’s gonna be covered in dirt / wax and ground down .

2 Likes

Grip fill works surprisingly well. We made a manny pad with breeze blocks, slabs and angle iron, all glued together with that stuff. Lasted a whole summer before the spot was destroyed.

1 Like