The TV Thread

Abandoned is on there too. Stoked!

Watched 3 episodes and gave up, basically nothing happens and just feels like a hollow Disney vessel to sell Baby Yoda merch and use as a flagship for Disney+. Technically it is really well made and obviously had so much money has been pumped into it but it has absolutely zero substance. Wouldn’t say it is well written or even badly written, doesn’t give enough to really judge on that.

Maybe that’s what people are looking for in an era of epic sprawling TV series but for me it is just a nothing show. I’m not even remotely entertained.

NB. I am a Star Wars fan

The main saga is ending on the 20th, so no-one knows how the Stars Wars universe stacks up just yet. That is why it has been done the way it is. Stand alone stories that don’t pry to much into the outside world. spoilers and they just didn’t know how it all ends up. Its been good to watch while waiting for the main film. Can anyone guess how it’s going to end? Nope.

I know it has no connection to the main Star Wars series of films, merely set in the same universe. Still doesn’t make it a good or interesting watch, there is nothing to it and it is boring as fuck.

1 Like

My point is that they couldn’t expand to much into the Universe as it’s not written in stone yet (well it is now). Is Kylo Ren dead, joined the light side, are Jedi’s completely gone, how do they deal with Leia, ect? Stuff they couldn’t go into. You’re right it’s like an old fashion show, where every ep is a stand alone. Columbo always got his murderer and the A-Team always beat the bad guys by the end of each show. It’s strange to think people are not used to that sort of TV anymore.

They didn’t need to though? I’m not criticising it for not expanding directly on the movies story, I’m not fussed about that at all.

More my point was that in the 3 episodes I watched it was so boring where very little happens. At least in the older shows you mentioned there was enjoyable charcters and humour in The A Team and some sort of mystery to be solved in Columbo. I can’t think of one redeeming feature of Mandolorian outside of the fact the production values are high.

Granted I only watched 3 episodes but I didn’t see things changing and from what I’ve read online it is more of the same

Point of order: there’s no mystery in Columbo. You see exactly who, how and why someone gets murdered in the opening of every episode.

Sorry…carry on.

1 Like

Ok yeah good point, been a long time since I’ve been able to watch daytime ITV. There is some enjoyment of watching his methods of solving the mystery then

The joy is seeing schlubby little Columbo get one over the arrogant rich cunts who think they are smarter than him. I fucking love Columbo. It’s so satisfying.

2 Likes

Yeah, I liked Monk too which felt like a new version of Columbo.

I did love Diagnosis Murder. I knew it was wrong but felt so right.

“Just, one, other, thing…” the “you thought you’d gotten away with it” moment is always great.

@Haven_Hamilton_Official I think Mandalorian is my favourite TV show ever, I like that its not overly action packed, and that every episode stands alone, focusses on characters way more, which is what made Star Wars great in the first place!

I saw the new film last night and it was action all the way through and it was too much, it should have been longer and had variations of pace, but instead it was all over the place. I enjoyed it but it’s the complete opposite of Mandalorian, so maybe you’ll like it…

Mandalorian is rad, it’s like an old school cowboy show, where the silent hero comes to town, sorts out the local baddies, saves the girl, then moves on to a different town and different baddies next week. Or like The Littlest Hobo, but it’s Boba Fett.

Anyone watched Mr Robot? It ends next week. I’ve been rather obsessed with it, I think it’s up there with the best ever.

1 Like

Watched the last episode of Watchmen the other night.

It’s way better than the film but that’s kind of damming it with faint praise whenever it deserves some real praise. At one point (but there’s probably more) I’m pretty sure it was taking the piss out of the film actually.

All the characters were great. Jeremy Irons is exceptional as Ozymandias and puts such a good spin on a character that’s pretty insufferable in the film.

The way it approached racism and other societal issues was handled interestingly. The plotline with Hooded Justice was a really clever way of playing with the backstory of the only character that doesn’t have one. Basically, I couldn’t recommend it enough to anyone. However, I do think the last two episodes flopped a little bit.

he only had one eye, you know.

… but not as obsessed as the guy (not me, I promise) on the subreddit who kept a spreadsheet with a four-season breakdown of when Christian Slater’s character wore a hat or not, and who he interacted with while wearing said hat

I just watched the Almir Jusovic episode and, er…
‘Bunny Jumping’ - both feet on the tail, both hands holding the nose - the Megaramp.

I tried that on flat once (long ago) and have a capped front tooth for my efforts.

McCrank fan status is rising with every one I watch.

Definitely watch Abandoned. It’s not about skateboarding, although that does occasionally feature. Alex Craig made it, I think. It’s really beautiful.

1 Like

Cheers Build - It’s definitely on The List. I’ve got a few days off over the next week or so and plan to watch with a couple of beers / mince pies when the Family have been tucked safely away (aka, I get control of the TV).

Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special was absolutely fucking woeful.

1 Like