Thrasher SOTY 2020 - Mason Silva

Yeah, a lot of filler this year.

Get rid of half those names and have a proper list of people who actually deserve it.

Lil Dre. Who?
Breazanna. Sick but not a chance so why bother?
Austyn Gillette. Personally in my top 10 ever but he’s put out just one (banging) part this year.
Hyun Kummer. Sure Instagram loves him but skater of the year? Lol
Kader. No
Evan Smith. The worst

Loads of filler in the list .

My bet is.

1. Mason
  2. Knox
  3. Alexsis
  4. Frankie/Kirby/Pedro

I don’t think a girl will ever win SOTY.

Who is Lil Dre?

The photo of Gilbert Crocket is hideous.

He’s on Max Allure, Karl Watson’s thing. He’s good. Probably not SOTY material though just local to the mag.

Never heard of it

Brandon Turner should get it, he’s fucking 40 years old and did a swanny switch hard flip down Wallenberg.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/0VSWFgXJhQU

Wish I hadn’t

2 Likes

Man, that was horrible. For some reason I thought Lil Dre and Lil Dre were two different people.

1 Like

I guess it’s (unflatteringly) a bit like Illegal Civ. Just instead of that Mikey Alfred goon at the helm it’s Karl Watson, which makes it that much more palatable. I mean everyone loves Karl Watson.

1 Like

That list of contenders is too long. If they’re going to stick that many down why stop there? Add a bunch more, you may as well.

I think it’s generally agreed that it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion as to the result. If I were picking I’d have Tom Knox, Louie and Mason in there. With an honourable mention for Simon Bannerot, Miles Silvas and Trivago. Oh, and Alexis…now my list’s too long.

Right. Like if they’re adding people who did good shit over the year (but still have no chance of winning), what about Appleyard? Good late career part, new shoe, thrasher interview, nine club, plus he’s Thrasher affiliated.

Agree though, it should be 3-5people, all of whom are in with a shot.

Appleyard too lazy to even turn his laptop on to attend Zoom award ceremony

4 Likes

Why does Appleyard always come up as lazy in this forum?

Gino is lazy.

Appleyard has put out amazing parts consistently since like 1999.

3 Likes

Consistently?

He definitely flew under the radar for a bit.

Was disappointed to find out he’s a bit of a conspiracy theorist. But nobody’s perfect I guess. Meh

Yeah. He won SOTY 17 years ago in 2003 after full parts in Transworld, 411 and 2 Flip videos. Since then he’s had parts in Element and Globe videos as well as 2 online parts. Also had TONNES of footage in montages, berrics, xgames real street and other shit like that.

Think he’s had 3 or 4 thrasher covers and some Transworld covers too.

Incredible career in my opinion.

I consistently find the fact that Appleyard has stayed with Globe since 05 incredible.

7 Likes

succesful artist too.

You got to admire the loyalty. He must have had other offers.

TBH, Globe might not be particularly cool in 2020, but as a brand it does sort of suit his hippie, brah personality. And the pay check must be good enough

you think? i can’t see him on any of the big brands.
he’s an incredible skateboard man but i can’t see him being very marketable.