UK skateboarders with US boards

California. Damnit.

Oh well, never mind. Incidentally, where’s that article from? I remember that Sheffey back tail photo at WTC. The mention of Minus K at the beginning suddenly threw me back a good few decades too.

That’s from Skateboard!, second time around obviously.

I’ve got such a banging Jeremy Henderson photo, from a park in Ealing, that I really want to post but obviously it’s ancient. Might just story it.

1 Like

Rolling Thunder?

Nope, before that. From 1977, and it’s an indoor wood park.

I have a vague recollection of that. I think it was pretty sketchy and short lived. Can’t remember the name. It’d be cool to see the photo whenever and wherever it surfaces.

Nah, hard post that ancient shit.

2 Likes

Re Mark Baker.

I’ve posted this in a different thread before but this interview/story is absolutely fucking mental and deserves a reup.

Apologies for the slight tangent but this seems like a good place to put this and I love stuff from the ‘elder era’.

Here’s Alva and the UK’s own 70’s skate superstar ‘Mad’ Mark Baker in Southport of all places in 1978.

From what I remember Mark Baker moved to the States and became a very famous party organiser in New York.

His story is interesting and touches on Alva’s significance at the time from a UK perspective.
Hit the Harrow photo below for more.

2 Likes

Yeah, theres a really good/quite long interview someone did with him in the past 18 months.

Super interesting read. I’ll try to find it.

I posted it on here before - via the pic of him at Harrow - the direct URL is below.
Have just posted again :point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

More ancient stuff of MMB here. I think it has to be 1979 and not 1978.

2 Likes

NY Times article on Mark Baker.

2 Likes

Was this more than a guest board @Scurbrampwoody?

Yeah, proper deal pro board as far as I know.

I mean he was world class at cone wiggling.

1 Like

I can understand how I missed those.

2 Likes

Hmm, they’re not exactly wall hangers are they?

1 Like

Graeme Stanners from Scotland was the first REAL pro on Foundation, Swank owned it Justin Lovely was imaginary. Only about 50 boards though. He then had at least 2 other decks 1 on GOODTIMES and 1 when it became GIA GOODTIMES Intelligence Agency. He was then their tour manager.

Bod also had his first deck on G&S

& Simon Levene or another U.K. Downhill/Slalom type had a deck on G&S fibre flex circa 2002.

Henderson & Sablosky both Yanks,

Mark Baker’s “Air Breaker” deck was a U.K. model.(I’m actually selling my Baker trucks which is how I ended up here 12 moths too late :joy:)

It’s a pretty comprehensive list , others may come to me I’m trying to think of the decks that were hard to get when I was collecting,

http://bangorskateboardpark.50megs.com/My%20Collection.htm

I only got 1 of Ashby’s 2 for Iron Cross and never got any of Stanners but out of the blue 20 years too late there is one on French eBay with virtually no graphics left.

1 Like