Ukraine and Russia

Russia defaulted on it’s debit today too.

It’s a forced default though. Russia sent the money to a third party bank who could not forward it on due to sanctions. Russia want to pay and it’s debtors know it wants and was able to pay. So these big headlines on a default is a bit of a non-event IMO.

1 Like

Firing missiles on a shopping mall though. How the hell do you justify that. Disgusting.

3 Likes

I thought it was because they can’t move what U.S dollars they have about easily? The way their debtors want paid. Which means once the gas and oil prices start to flatten out, Russia will need to be part of the world’s economy and borrow, which any default will now make harder and cost them more in interest.

“Denazification”

Interesting thread on where the war could go from here

1 Like

There was an opinion piece in the Guardian yesterday…

There’s a Russian YouTube channel called 1420 which is pretty decent.

“Sanctions don’t work” might be a bit premature tbh. The shit is only just but really starting to hit the fan with their economy and industry. They need western doodads more than we need their oil and gas.

Crikey, that paints a rosy picture!

Depressing isn’t it? It’s only an opinion piece either way.

1 Like

I suppose the only thing you can say is that this is all to try and avoid war which would potentially involve nuclear weapons, so it is obviously good that isn’t happening.

Really grim video floating around of a Russian soldier castrating a Ukrainian POW.

Not got the stomach to watch it myself but it can be found on Twitter. Apparently in a previous prisoner exchange of around 30 Ukrainian soldiers, all had been castrated.

How the fuck.

According to Reddit, he’s been doxxed on Russian FBand there’s a huge bounty on his head, and potentially his unit too.

One thing to bear in mind is that the vast majority of men would bleed out and die from castration, so I’d assume if that’s the case, the story of the previous prisoner exchanges being already castrated would be a bit of a stretch.

Utterly fucked up either way.

1 Like

Found this earlier, which is an article on US Gen Patton’s thoughts on Russia’s involvement in WW2 - rape and brutality was already a major tactic of theirs back then - 'Silence Patton': First Victim of the Cold War | HuffPost Entertainment

Not having a go at you personally, but that Huff Post article seems to be written to speak to current anti-Russian sentiment and US patriotism. The Red Army’s actions during WW2 should be put in the context of the atrocities that German forces were carrying out in the Eastern Front during Operation Barbarossa. The Red Army were not inherently amoral, they were radicalised by the violence meted out on Russians by the Nazis.

Also, this article seems to ignore the fact that the Red Army played a decisive role in winning the war. Things like the percentages agreement were arrived at out of recognition for this. The idea America should have pushed the Red Army back in 1945 is pretty daft.

1 Like

Yep, I agree in part with your point, it’s a hugely complex issue… but that still doesn’t take into account how the Red Army murdered and raped their way to control in Berlin. The alliance of US, UK and Russia was very much “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone is following this (on twitter) but some incredible progress being made by Ukraine (esp. in the last 24 hours), and as a result some unprecedented events happening in moscow.

Worth keeping an eye on, it really feels like a turning point, for both the war and russian politics

3 Likes

Centre of Moscow is closed off

Yesterday:

4 Likes

That shite rapper is in Moscow to perform, I’ve no love for Russia but I wouldn’t hold it against them if they mobilised him.