Useless skate facts

There was a Swedish board brand in the early 00s called Metric who listed their board measurements in ads in cm.

5 Likes

Wasnt Bart Simpson inspired by Willy Santos as a kid skating in his front driveway next door to one of the artists?

2 Likes

Frank Hirata lived next door to Matt Groening.

6 Likes

Nobody will ever know what the track was used on Jenson’s day in the city part.

13 Likes

Thats it. Got em mixed up

2 Likes

unless this is some inside joke im not privvy to, it’s your ghost - kristin hersh

1 Like

I was being silly. Sorry, won’t happen again. :blush:

1 Like

Someone else feel for it a little bit back.
It’s perhaps the ultimate in-joke.

2 Likes

did people skate Bristo Square before the early 90s/ ledge era began?

5 Likes

No idea mate!

Additional skate trivia: Habgood was the first person to do a flip trick down Lloyds

3 Likes

Was it a heelflip?

2 Likes

I think it was

The originator of the mute grab was deaf, not mute.

3 Likes

That was because when Fausto etc were planning Indy trucks, they wanted to differentiate them from prevous trucks (i.e. Tracker, Bennett) as being so precise they were measured in millimetres, not inches. They were involved with Ermico, which I think was an existing engineering plant, which basically became part of Indy.

Also, we think of inches as being “old fashioned” over here, so still talk about 1/2", 1/8" etc but in America, they semi-decimalised by only making the “fraction” of each inch decimal - EG 1.5", 8.75" etc. Which we’re used to as deck size measurements.

2 Likes

Deck widths are just inches, not all inch dimensions use fractions, decimal places are still used i.e. 8 3/4" is the same as 8.75".

I’d be happy to lose inches altogether, doing jobs for USA customers is a nightmare as everything on the CAD programs I use is set up for sensible metric units.

Yep, I get the use of .25,.5,.75 and the like… it’s when you get to things like DLX doing 8.06 deck widths things seem odd. Mind you I think that’s without a doubt still preferable to the alternative of all out imperial measurements as 8.06 would become 8 and 3/50ths and that’s just straight confusing.

1 Like

But ironically, and probably because Fausto etc were constantly stoned, Indy’s measurements have always been way off. The 169s/166s are in fact 163 mm. Best stick the precise scale of superwide, FW and MFW!

anyone know what’s the worlds longest running skate shop is pls?