Wack UK Instagram Brands

The increasingly old and increasingly jaded demographic! And, yeah this is totally motivated by a nostalgia for a golden age which probably never existed.

I guess my worry is that there’s an increasingly ‘stripped back’ model for what a UK skate company can look like. All the good stuff that got me hooked, videos, photos and articles in mags (the cultural stuff), can be omitted or done on the cheap using your phone. If your only or main engagement with UK skating is via social media, i.e. if you’re young, then you might miss out on a lot of stuff that makes the UK scene rad because of inflated likes or followers going to these slightly naff brands.

1 Like

Doesn’t Jake Sparham @nug_lord own it too? He rips.

Parallel Skateboards seems ok, as a local thing out of Hull sponsoring Paul Regan who rips, but they only started in 2019 and somehow got featured on The Berrics blog really quickly, which makes me think of the residual stink of Scientology or something.

1 Like

I have never seen anyone that wasnt given it for free riding or endorsing Salon. Their team looks like the cast of a 80s American high school film too

1 Like

I totally get Salon I think it’s cool. Would be interested to see a full length video from them.

Feels longer?

Regan owns it.

2 Likes

I was about to post something supporting that statement because I know I read it somewhere today but I can’t find it now

Is Regan sound? He seems it but then again, I’m never really sure.

1 Like

Not taking the piss but what’s cool about it in your opinion? It looks like day 1 cut and paste graphic design to me but I may be missing something

Loving the Slap vibes from this thread

11 Likes

Not sure who that is. Just heard before that Rat Boy guy is involved, regardless of whether he’s good at skating if he’s involved with Scum he fucking sucks.

Just looked at Salons website… £20 for a sheet of griptape. What da fuk?

Salons not my thing and its not really meant to be but at least its something a bit different

2 Likes

I like that it has an identity and that it is counter to skateboarding norms. The idea of Salon sharing wall space with Anti Hero and Creature is cool to me.

I know Foreman well (all the Hull pun vids) and he always backs Regan and he’s been sound anytime I’ve said hello at an event.

2 Likes

Yep, he is sound.

3 Likes

Scum?

Hmmmmm.

There is a shop in Westfield that is either owned by or is literally a shop called Scum that only sells their stuff and if it is skater owned they don’t get out much.

Jaws graphic but it says Scum instead! Original.

They might be sending a few quid to Grove and Woodley but that’s the only good thing they can do.

TLDR,

It’s mega shit.

4 Likes

This place?

I wandered in and saw a ton of Rip and Dip completes and loads of that Scum stuff and swiftly did one

1 Like

That’s it.