Weddle grab

I don’t like being called Goofy

Sorry PDW not sure why it’s replied to specifically you

Learn to skate the correct way then??

1 Like

Les twist.

Yeah but a Chinese ollie is called so because it makes half the amount of chinks.

1 Like

bit of broken telephone, obv, but we always called then ching ching.

oxford def: NOUN

• An abrupt high-pitched ringing sound, typically one made by a cash register.

‘nothing shifts the winds of Hollywood opinion like the ching of a box office cash register’

Hubbas are named after homeless, deprived people, with substance abuse and probably mental health issues. Is that cool?

Yes haha

Read some interesting info on “chink chink” on Instagram recently. According to Bryan Pennington, it was Aaron Dieter who invented it, and gave it the name based on the coping chinking sound - “to make a slight sharp metallic sound”. Chink Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Pennington said he and the others at the session told him straight away he shouldn’t call it that as it was used as an ethnic slur, but Dieter presumably didn’t think of it that way, so the name has stuck.

So how does that affect people’s opinion? The word itself isn’t negative, as it’s still used in a number of ways totally unrelated to its use as a slur. Is there an alternative trick name? I’ve never heard of it being referred to as a half Cab nosepick to fakie?

ummm…

Chink isn’t negative or offensive at all, I think we should all at least be responsible to figure out context of any word before judging. It is a huge problem right now that people flare up at the wrong thing because they do not take context into consideration. While there are many instances where words/slang/terms should be cancelled, we shouldn’t let prefectly normal language that may have other bastardised meanings suffer because some people really just want to get angry about something.

So you can’t say ‘A chink in their armour’ anymore?

That isn’t the word itself. That’s the word in context.

It’s an offensive word.

Er, how many uses of the word can you think of?

True but if someone says that some word or other offends them then I’m not going to ask them to prove it. It’s not like we’re going to run out of words or something.

4 Likes

First one that comes to mind is a racial slur towards Chinese people. Second one, I suppose, would be when I’m talking to a knight, so I hear it in that context a lot less.

2 Likes

No but most of the time it’s obvious to read or work out the context. Would you immediately come to the conclusion that the trick name is alluding to Chinese people or would you think, Oh, I get it, it’s the noise of the trick on the coping.
And yes, trick name are ambiguous, granted, awaits the mention of something like a Madonna

That’s a bit “Urgh, can’t you Chinese people get over it?!”

It’s an offensive word, more so now that there’s so much division in the world, so why not just use something else? I always hated trick names that didn’t just describe the trick anyway. All that crusty shit, all those wacky names instead of just calling it what it is.

1 Like

That’s the word in isolation, no context, but in the context of the trick attached to it, it’s easy to work out which meaning is closest. That work should be on the reader I feel.

I honestly thought it was Ching Ching anyway, going by Tony Hawk saying it on a propaganda skit. To which makes the word actually interesting and how clever language is. A chink chink would be more correct to use because when you land on the coping the sound chinks without sound decay, A ching because of the use of the g would suggest that you hit the coping quickly and let the sound ring, just like the g in the word makes you hang out the end of the word with a tiny “ah” as your tongue leaves the roof of your mouth.

Anyway, talking crap

I always assumed it was just the noise but I can see why someone might think otherwise given that the word is far more commonly used as a racial slur.